Chapter 1 - Misunderstood

They'd finally made it to summer. Spring semester was nothing less than a slog to get through. No electives. Only seventeen units worth of core classes and a part time job that often became more than part-time. Still, Lane was thankful both he and Luna had survived long enough to settle into a mostly ordinary life. University courses, a customer service job, and a quiet studio apartment to come home to at the end of a long day. It didn't hurt either that the University of Irvine in sunny Southern California was a stone's throw away from the beach, mountains, and a fist full of national and state parks. There were ample places outside to relax, if Lane ever got the time to do so.

    "You need to get out," Lane pleaded as he knocked on the shower door once again. The faucet was going full blast, but that didn't muffle the soft squeals and occasional moan from making their way audibly into the kitchen room. "Luna, please, Becca is gonna be here in ten minutes. We talked about this two days ago-!"

    The rushing water cut off abruptly.

    The door flew open and a wall of steam hit Lane in the face. Stepping out wrapped in a purple linen towel, Luna licked her fingers and smiled, "Finished. Okay? I'm going. I wouldn't want to intrude on you and your... Girlfriend? This is the volleyball one, right?"

    Lane stepped aside to allow Luna room to saunter over to the dresser. She unwrapped the towel and tossed it over her shoulder at Lane. He caught it in his off hand and threw it onto the towel rack before addressing his naked sister taking her sweet time getting dressed.

    "She's a friend. Possibly girlfriend material. Could you hurry up?" Lane replied exasperated. Not necessarily because his sister was deliberately stalling, but he honestly didn't know where things stood with Becca. It was unlike him to leave things so ambiguous in any kind of relationship. For the last two semesters, Lane hadn't been on any supernatural quests or dangerous missions overseas. He had been a simple college undergrad slinging coffee on the side. Becca was a nice classmate, coworker, friend? Life was simple for once, but that surprising lack of otherworldly tension or impending doom left Lane on edge.

    "Here, how's this one?" Luna had stepped into a cowl neck, thigh length, satin slip. At first glance, Lane thought the cowled neck line made it appear as if she were wearing the dress backwards, but there was no back. Wearing it the other way around would have only been slightly more revealing than Luna's typical garb. The marbled green satin hugged her slim, athletic frame. Luna gave a quick twirl and threw a mischievous smile at her brother.

    "Looks great. Where are you going, exactly?" He asked while stepping from the bedroom through the living space, and back into the kitchen; a whole fifteen feet.

    "Bowling," Luna shouted.

    "Don't think that's the sort of dress that goes well with socks, or bowling shoes... Or, Bowling," Lane considered while dicing mushrooms.

    "I appreciate your concern for my wardrobe. I've got it handled," Luna had followed Lane out into the kitchen holding a pair of black Spanish Heels. She lifted her right leg up and set it gently on the kitchen counter top like a barre, "See? Stockings. Perfectly acceptable bowling attire."

    "If you say so. Leave now. Begone," Lane pointed a spatula toward the door.

    Luna remained, smiling, raising her leg off the kitchen counter and bringing it around perfectly at a ninety degree angle before bending the knee, and sliding it back to the floor. She'd only trained as a dancer for a year, mostly as cover for one of their adventures. She still had that same ballet grace. But, Lane kept his focus on adding the finishing touches on the toasted ravioli he'd been preparing.

    "So," Luna said, leaning over the counter, "You're gonna ask her out then? In the afternoon? In the apartment? Super romantic." She rolled her eyes and leaned back on the counter top.