Chapter 18 - At Least That's What You Said

Before he died, Lane's last thoughts fell onto his family. He missed his mom and dad, wherever they had disappeared to. He hoped Robyn and Katrina would be safe, successful, happy. Finally, he sent what would have been his last breath to Luna.

"Stay alive," Lane whispered to the void.

    Another second or so of freefalling through the towering pines to the forest floor. Even though there was only darkness, Lane would not shut his eyes. He would not let the dark claim him before his time. When the end did come, he would meet whatever light or darkness came to claim him without blinking.

Then, suddenly, impact.

    The moment Jordan had pushed him off the wooden platform, Lane already calculated how and where his bones would break; the lacerations he'd sustain from branches, rocks, or whatever lay unseen below. If he caught his landing just right, it would be a quick end.

    Instead, Lane felt the sting of thick, coarse ropes embrace him well before he'd predicted.

He'd landed in a massive cargo net.

    Before he could even register the shock of not being dead, Jordan had dropped down and joined him in the net; "You didn't scream. I'm almost impressed."

    "Oh, Lane? He doesn't scream," another voice spoke up across the cargo net, which caused both Jordan and Lane to startle. Lane nearly fell off the side of the net. Then, almost reflexively, he reached up to the guide rope he was still connected to. Idiot, Lane laughed to himself, Jordan must have clipped him in while he was distracted by her-- Her everything.

    Jordan gasped, "How the hell did you- You couldn't have possible beat us here on the course?"

    Lane's eyes adjusted to the combined light of three glowsticks. One of those faint neon lights belonged to Luna. She smiled and pointed upward.

    "Doc let me use the guide track above the course," Luna said with a shrug, "I usually prefer to be in the thick of thing. But, seeing how I was on my own, it was nice to have a straight shot to the finish line." Shifting her body to face Lane, Luna smiled, "I can understand why you like seeing the bigger picture, Ursa Major. It's a refreshing perspective."

    Lane couldn't make out Jordan's exact facial features, but he could feel the anger radiating off of her. Just before she'd pushed him, Lane recalled Jordan's abrupt slip of the mask. That facade of perpetual anger, that wall that must have been built up, brick by brick over the years. Had Jordan really thought about him and Luna...? No. No, it wasn't about that. Not any sordid inuindo. It was about the bond itself. Lane and Luna were more than siblings. They were partners. Not romantic partners, but he'd known for some time how rare it was to have a pair so in tune with another. Lane got the impression that envy was not necessarily Jordan's sole focus or emotional state. There was something more on her mind, her heart. He needed to know what.

    "Look out below!" Cried Topeka and Olympia in unison.

    Both boys dropped into the net, laughing and exchanging high-fives. It was an oddly refreshing sight to see.

    "Dude, I think that's gotta be a new course record," Brandon exclaimed.

    "Almost," Jordan corrected him, "You're about a five minutes shy. Keep trying though."

    "I told you," Cole chuckled, "Jordan is a beast! I think she even beat Jude one year. She's that fast."

    "Don't forget dexterity," Luna added, "I was watching from above. The way she navigated those inclined bars was beautifully executed."