Chapter 16 - Outta Mind

No sooner had Lane opened the door to the onsen bathhouse did he take a step back, and let the door slam shut once again. It was much the same scene as before. Half of the councilors were fucking themselves senseless. Or, at least it appeared that little sense was attached to their actions. It was on the borderline of being removed from any sense at all. Then again, the second orgy he'd walked in on was the least of his concerns. Between the three omens, lost love, and whatever Jude was up to was enough on Lane's plate at the moment. Considering all he had was a salad and half a bottle of Jones Soda™, all he really wanted was to shower off before the next insane activity, the next distraction.

    Lane did have a water canteen and washcloth in his daypack. He might as well use that and wait for the rest of the councilors to finish and clear out of the bathhouse. Wishful thinking. The moment Lane touched the door handle, Aiden excitedly emerged.

    Sheepishly, Aiden greeted his bunkmate, "Lane, hey. How are you, um, feeling?"

    "I want to sleep forever and forget this day even happened," Lane admitted, then studied Aiden's goofy grin, "How you doin' in there champ?"

    Scratching the back of his head Aiden tried to beat around the bush, "Good. I'm really-- I think things are going pretty good. You know? All things considered--"

    Lane raised a hand, "You two need some privacy?"

    Aiden nodded, "We were-- We just wanna talk about some things. You know?"

    Lane took a step back and closed the flimsy screen door gently on Aiden, "You got protection, right?"

    With a nervous bluster, Aiden looked around as if someone else were listening in, "What? No! I mean, I do, but-- We really wanna talk about, you know, intimate... Um, stuff?"

    "Seriously, it's okay. Take it slow. You've got this," Lane added with a respectful smile.

    Aiden shot back a wide giddy grin, "Thanks! I mean, thank you. I appreciate the-- Um, the confidence? Thanks, Lane." Carefully, quietly, the excited tank of a man closed the door.

    Good for him, Lane thought. Turning toward the crunching leaves on the footpath, Luna approached with a cup of coffee in each hand.

    "I want nothing more than to sit, drink, and slowly sink into that lumpy mattress," Luna breathed out after taking a long sip from her styrofoam cup.

    "Well, you can do two of those things at least," Lane grinned, taking a step forward to intercept Luna and the spare cup of coffee. Gently lifting the styrofoam cup from Luna's left hand, Lane explained in a whisper, "Nina and Aiden are having a 'Conversation'."

    Luna cracked a wide Cheshire grin, "Oh?" Stepping up on her tiptoes, she wondered aloud, "Perhaps they need a moderator? Or, a translator?"

    Lane gently placed a hand on Luna's shoulder easing her back down, "Pretty sure they're speaking the same language just fine."

    His sister laughed, "Spoil my fun. I was kidding, of course."

    "Were you though?" Lane raised an eyebrow.

    Luna shrugged, failing to suppress a devious grin.

    Lane and Luna both turned in unison at the sound of a cabin door creaking open. Julia had stepped out of her bunkhouse, towel and pink toiletry bag tucked under her arm.

    "Um, hey, Julia," Lane called out from across the deck, "I would maybe wait a few minutes before you go in there." He gestured with a sharp jab at the onsen.