Chapter 26 - I Am Trying (to Break Your Heart)

When Lane did eventually blink, sweat rolled off his forehead to sting his weary eyes. 

The Panther disappeared. 

There wasn't much time till the beast's next attack. Another eastern breeze blew through the wreckage of the cabin that had been split in two. Dust particles and embers blew by and danced on the faint rays of light emitted from the shattered fireplace. Lane's broken ribs still ached and stabbed him. His breath, ragged. Like all big cats that toyed with their injured food, the panther would likely pounce from behind. Any moment now, it'd finish Lane off, slowly...

The ginger boy drew what could have been his final breath.

Then, within a split second: a terrifying, deafening growl...

...A massive body launched itself through the air...

...Lane rolled on his back and kicked up with every last ounce of strength left. It was barely enough force to stave off the initial attack. Fortunately, he felt the heels of his boots connect, impact into the hardened muscles beneath that ink-covered panther.

A sharp yowl let Lane know he'd done some damage. In actuality, given his broken ribs, Lane had probably done more harm to himself than the animal. But, he'd still bought himself precious seconds. It didn't bother to press its advantage. The Panther dashed off into the shadows. Struggling to stand, Lane scanned his surroundings for the silver cross. His only weapon proven effective against his foe. It was over a meter long, bright, shiny, metallic; how the fuck could I've lost it?

Too late. Time's up.

He heard the heavy packing sounds of paws pounding upon the ground, the soil, and the rubble. It charged straight for him. Bright yellow eyes flashed in the dark. A full set of gleaming, razor-white teeth opened wide. Then, before Lane could react, another sharp yowl was cut short.

Lane rolled on his side as the beast continued its forward moment. It came to a sudden stop, face down in the dirt right beside him. Breathing heavy, Lane was face to face with the melting tar-covered skeleton of the massive jungle cat. Behind it, Franki stood tall with the silver sword in hand. The former cross had plunged deep into the back of the cat's neck. The corpse continued to hiss and dissolve until there was nothing left but soot.

As the steaming pile of murky oil sank back into the earth, the young woman released her shaking hand from the hilt of the cross. The transmuted weapon landed with a soft THUD in the soil. Franki's feet were rooted to the ground. Her mouth hung open, pleading to release a scream that had been building in her throat. That scream had wanted to escape since she witnessed Julia slain hours ago.

Instead, there was only frustrated, horrified, mourning silence.

The girl had her revenge.

Now, there was nothing left.

Nina had helped Gracie out into the parking lot away from the ruined cabin. Now that the house was split in two, the girls were within line of sight from where Lane lay. He steadily staggered forward and coughed out blood onto the soil. With one hand clutching his ribs, Lane reached out to Franki; "Thank you," he said hoarsely, blood trickling out of his mouth.

Franki still said nothing, but gave Lane an almost imperceptible nod.

"Lane? Are you okay?" Nina shouted from across the lot, "Franki? C'mon, let's go!"

Lane waved if only to acknowledge that he was for the moment, mostly alive.

"Your sister went chasing after that... That THING!" Nina shouted in a manic, rattled voice, "She threw her car keys at us and ran off-"