Uproot

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based and contained from. 

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going. 

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story. 

____________________________________________________________

The dirt road to Metropolis brought up an array of brown smoke. It was a plain backroad, but the area led towards the highway to Metropolis. The newly rented red Mazda turned a corner, relinquished from the dirt and pebbles to pavement. Inside, a young blonde glanced at the open maps resting on her passenger seat. With an irritable sigh, her big brown eyes peeled back to the road. The past couple of months had been more than eventful for her. For starters, her plans of arriving to Metropolis were not completely unforeseen but she had not been to the tiny town of Smallville since she was but what? Twelve? Thirteen? At most, her last memories where when she was fourteen, on her last summer break helping her mother clean up her farm with her husband.

It wasn't her father. But the man tried to be the calm tether for her mother. Between the meteor showers, the strange occurrences that her mother told and the growing illness that the late stepfather had, he was the rock that her own father could not be. But the circumstances had changed. With her stepfather's passing and the funeral that was still fresh in her mother's mind, it put the young woman to tend to her mother. After all, she was still grieving. If it was anything Tyla Nevin could do, it was to take care of her.

So she had packed up and moved across states to settle in Metropolis with a job that could be done with her eyes closed. She had left her corporate standing for her family, but it didn't mean that she couldn't gain it back.

However, she was expecting a normal interview; something very straightforward and yet, she was given the run around for an ad that was disclosed to her only from her friends back home. She had shown up at LuthorCorp in Metropolis only to find that the owner was staying in Smallville, and the interview would be conducted in his ancestral home. Without even so much as a phone call to brief me, she thought although perhaps she would have been doing the briefing if she did end up getting hired.

Once she arrived at the mansion, Lionel Luthor wasn't even fit to take the interview. According to a vaguely familiar redheaded woman, he was indisposed, and she was directed to the former plant and recently constructed, LexCorp. She rehearsed the address as she raced over to the building which imposed itself next to the highway. If she got redirected one more time.......

*****

"And you couldn't have told me that an hour ago?" Alexander Joseph Luthor sat at the edge of his desk, listening to the drawling voice of his head of security. There was a breach once again, this time about a woman who claimed that she was the mother of a bastard child, fathered by his very own father. She was currently running around Smallville causing an emotional stir and had already proceeded to harangue his best friend, Clark Kent. She had been quite busy harassing the Kents, let alone granting him a visit at the mansion earlier. He could hear the faint sound of heels clicked down the corridors and Lex ground his teeth at the sound. Who the hell was here at this hour? He rubbed his temples in frustration upon hearing a bit of arguing coming from outside his office. He didn't look up nor as the doors across from him flew open. For a brief second, the figure stood there with one hand on each handle. As she realized that he had only now glanced over her presence, the figure strode forward. He watched her with a slightly annoyed look.