The Before

They always talked about how it used to be. A shining, tall edifice that towered over the landscape. People of all creeds and concepts would travel for endless hours and days to reach its peak in the before times. That was before the darkness swept the land, leaving roving bands to create havoc everywhere they went.

I saw a different way, a way forward. At first only my friend Micha would believe, but eventually we were able to convince a small group to begin restoring what was once lost, hope. Maybe we could not return to that towering edifice, but was it really so great to begin with? We decided to find a new way, a better way. We formed a plan to bring about change that would help us and the next generation move forward not look back.

"Are you writing in your journal again?"

I looked up from the weathered book tucked between my legs and cracked a toothy grin. "Hey Micha. I was just thinking about you."

Face contorted she took a few playful steps my direction, as if she would actually dare to take my journal. "I should take that thing from you and toss it into the abyss. At least there I know I wouldnt be the star or sidekick in any more of your weird scribblings."

"Pfft, your just jealous that Sasha was the lead role in the last entry."

Fire burned a dangerous line in my direction. "Who is Sasha? Are they new to the camps?"

"Kidding, but the light from the peak is not a joke. Someone made it. Someone reached the peak for the first time in five years. We have to find out who."

She eyed the peak, then held out a hand to help me up. "No matter what, Im with you."