A Beginner's Guide to Mythology

Finally our journey begins! Welcome mythology lovers and all those who want to enrich their knowledge about our ancient past

Finally our journey begins! Welcome mythology lovers and all those who want to enrich their knowledge about our ancient past. Thus, without further ado let's start with a few basic questions!

•~•

The first question which must arise in a readers mind while checking out this book might be

What is mythology?

Well, it's a very difficult thing to be even expressed in mere words

Well, it's a very difficult thing to be even expressed in mere words. It's tale within tales, truth beneath facades. But, to express for your understanding, we can simply say that a collection of myths, especially one belonging to a particular religious or cultural tradition is known as mythology.

There are four types of mythology in total.

• First is rational myth, which deals with occurrence of various natural events and forces that occurs in daily lives of humans.

• The second is the functional myths which deals with morality and social behaviour.

• The third is structural myth which depicts the human emotions and how the mind has two sides - good and bad aka the dual nature of humans.

• The last one is the psychological myth which like structural myth deals with emotions and subconscious mind. It also involves the fears, questions and wishes of the human mind which are quite unexplainable.

In this book book we are going to deal with five different mythologies.

⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫

1) HINDU/VEDIC MYTHOLOGY:

It is a mythology coming from the areas in and around the Indian subcontinent. These myths are found in various spiritual texts such as the Vedas, the puranas, the epics and various other regional text, such as Mangal Kavya of Bengal and Periya Puranam from Tamil Nadu.

Hindu mythology does not often have a consistent, monolithic structure. The same myth typically appears in various versions, and can be represented differently across different regional and socio-religious traditions. Many of these legends evolve across these texts, where the character names change or the story is embellished with greater details.