14

Brushing his hand through his hair, Fiat watches his reflection. He straightens out his shirt and tilts his head side to side.

"Going somewhere?" Fiat turns his head to find his roommate looking back at him with a questioning brow. Fiat rubs the back of his neck and nods. He holds out his hands to present himself and asks if he looks alright. "Wow, I can't believe it. You're actually going on a date? Thought you were about that solo life, but congrats! You look good. Just enough to say you tried, but not overdone."

"Great," Fiat looks back at his reflection and smiles. His phone rings and Leo is waiting for him downstairs. Fiat thanks his roommate before rushing out. Just before he meets Leo, he takes a deep breath and straightens out his clothes. Without his approval, Fiat's lips pull to a smile the moment he meets Leo's eyes. "H-Hi."

"Hey, there. You look amazing," Leo chuckles at Fiat's little stutter causing the latter to flush and glance away. Slowly, Fiat's eyes trail back to Leo to find himself admiring the other man. Two fingers on his chin to capture his attention bring his eyes to meet the other pair. "Do I live up to expectations? How was your day at work?"

While Fiat answers, Leo opens the door for him and the two of them settle into the car while Fiat speaks about his less than exciting day. Fiat hardly realizes the drawl of overly shared information as Leo responds actively all throughout the drive. If Fiat did not look out the window, he would not have noticed that they have arrived as Leo simply just parks the car and turns to him to let him finish talking. Fiat shuts himself up and the two walk over to join the crowd of the night market on the outskirts of the city. The street lights are mixed with the shop lights even before the sun sets. Fiat glances around excitedly while he walks beside Leo. To the outsiders they pass for two friends hanging out, but the two of them know how nerve-racking it all is as their hands brush as they walk and the light touches Leo gives Fiat when they pass a group of people. Fiat feels his heart swell as Leo actively protects him from behind bumped into and away from the road as cars pass. It is something Fiat never expected to want, but after being stuck to fend for himself for so long, it feels nice to be able to depend on someone and turn off his mind. "This place is amazing, Leo. I saw some stall that has those ice cream waffle things. Let's get it after dinner?"

"Whatever you want, love," Leo smiles while Fiat's eyes grow wide. He gulps and quickly averts his gaze to the different options they can have dinner at. Small tables scatter around the area as locals and visitors chatter with a spread of food across the tables. Trying to ignore the nickname, Fiat points out a few items that seem appetizing to him and try to gauge which one appeals to Leo, but each time he gets the same response. "Whatever you want, love."

"Okay! I can't handle it. Please stop calling me that. I'm going to go crazy if you keep at it," Fiat stops in front of Leo and pleads. Leo starts laughing and pulls Fiat into a hug and hums, giving in. Fiat pouts and lightly hits Leo's chest as he pulls away mumbling, "Not in public at least. I'm shy."

"Alright, Fiat. Not in public. So, you picked out a bunch of things. Do you want to order one of everything and share it or do you have a specific one or two you want to get?" Leo smiles brightly and Fiat reflexively mirrors him. Fiat picks out the dishes that stood out to him the most and Leo nods, leading him to the stalls to order the food. While they juggle the food and drinks, they search around for a free table and rush over to grab it before someone else does. They chuckle between themselves as they nearly spill everything, too excited to get a table and feast on their food. This time around Leo shares a bit of his own stories of his week. "My mom sometimes still treats my like a child. It's honestly embarrassing, but in a way that you can't help but just love her."

"Your mom sounds like a great person. Both of your parents do based on the stories you've told," Fiat gives an honest smile even though a part of him feels a bit of jealousy. Leo must have caught on it as he tries to sell them short. Fiat sighs causing Leo to pause. "You don't have to do that, Leo. If your parents are great people, then they're great people. You deserve to have an amazing pair of parents, Leo. I just got the short end of the stick and until this day I hope that they'll come around one day."