Chapter Six: Emotional Wreck

"We yelled, I told him I wasn't that desperate and he said I was. Gus came in and I just remember being so angry, I almost threw a plate at him," I laughed lightly my head resting against Callaghan's chest, "I told him I hated him and I never wanted to see him again." 

        "I'm sorry." 

        "No, it's fine. He's a big asshole. Who cheats on their fiancee right before the wedding? It was selfish." 

        "You're one of those people, aren't you?" 

        "One of those people?" I twisted around to look into his eyes. 

        "That cares a lot?" He clarified. 

        "Yeah. It's odd that the most bitter, cold-hearted people are just the ones that cared too much and got hurt." 

        I felt him kiss the top of my head and I smiled. 

        "What about you?" 

        "Well, I'm not bitter," I could hear the teasing smile in his voice, "But I was in love with a girl once and she made a stupid decision that ended her life." 

        I turned to face him, "How did she die?" 

        "She was drinking a little too much at a party and she drove home. She crashed, killed herself and the mom in the car she crashed into. There was a little baby girl in the back and she lived." 

        "What happened to the baby?" 

        "I have her." 

        I gave him a confused look, "Wait, what?" 

        "She killed my sister. My girlfriend killed my sister." 

        "Oh," I covered my mouth with my hand, having no idea how to comfort him, "When was this?" 

        "A good...two years ago." 

        "Where's the baby?" 

        "She's in Ireland with my mom, but I have full custody of her." 

        "Her dad?" 

        He shrugged, "They don't know who her biological father is." 

        "Wait.....you have a baby?" I couldn't help the grin that spread across my face. 

        "Yah, I'm a dad. I thought I would just throw that out there." 

        I leaned over and gave him a peck on this lips. 

        "What was that for?" He grinned, leaning closer. 

        I shrugged, "I don't know." 

        "I like you, Frankie," He started rubbing circles on my back. 

        Then my phone started to buzz and I saw Cam calling me. 

        "Hello?" 

        "Frankie, please come to Cam's house." It was mom. 

        "Mom? What happened?" 

        "It's Freddy. He got in an accident. Oh, Frankie. They don't think he's going to make it." 

        I stood up and let Callaghan's hands fall. 

        "What? Where should I be?" I was starting to panic. 

        "Cam's house. I have to go." 

        She hung up and I dropped the phone, unsure what to do next. 

        "What happened?" Callaghan stood up to face me. 

        "My sister Cam's husband got in a car wreck. They don't know if he's going to make it."         

        "You're in shock, let me drive you there." 

        My throat was burning with unshed tears; I tried to swallow, "No, I can drive." 

        "Let me." His voice was gentle and I looked up at him, "Okay." 

        ***

        We pulled up to Cam's house, the drive all a blur. 

        Mom rushed out to us, "Frankie, oh, Frankie." She grabbed me up in a hug, tears coursing down her face. 

        "They fought before he wrecked. Oh, Frankie, I can't handle this." 

        "Mrs. Hagan," Callaghan took her arm and directed her into Cam's apartment, reassuring her so much better than I could have. I followed behind him, my heart sinking to my feet with every step. 

        ***

        The night was long, it dragged on and on and I stood by the window, tired, cold and hungry, while we waited for the news. 

        I felt a hand on my shoulder and I turned to see Callaghan behind me, "You're mom is sleeping." 

        "Good," I breathed a sigh of relief. 

        "You need to sleep, Frankie." 

        I gave him a weak smile, "I don't think I can." 

        "Come here." He opened his arms and I walked into them, feeling his arms surround me like shield. It was comforting. I laid my head on his chest and heard a distinct thumping. 

        "I can hear your heart." 

        He grinned, "It only beats for you." 

        I felt my face break into a smile, "You're stupid." 

        "But humorous," he added. 

        "Thank you," my voice was hushed. 

        "It is my pleasure." 

        He leaned down and kissed my lips, before pulling me towards the sofa, where we fell asleep talking about four a.m. things.