Getting Played

Snake Eyes POV

I'm standing up next to the couch the rest of my Teammates are sitting on as the Chief stands in front of all of us. 

Daisuke: I guess you're all wondering why I called this emergency session. It's regarding a response to a string of incidents that have been occurring lately. Section 9 needs to lay out its policy. 

Batou: Fine but I'd like to punch that bastard first. 

Togusa: Yeah I'm with him. Chief, the CIS is trying to put pressure on us it's pretty obvious. I'm not interested in keeping quiet to let them get away with it again. 

Daisuke: Calm down, I don't like it any more than you do. 

Batou: Even so it seems you've been taking trips to see the Prime Minister. Don't you think it's the PM herself who wants to strap a tight tether on us to keep us in check?

Daisuke: That's dubious. True she may just be a figure head who was sent up to distract public attention from scandals of the former administration. The lady may not be a friend but she's definitely not a foe. As a matter a fact I believe the Major is conducting her own investigation on this very subject. If there are indications that the CIS is deliberately  manipulating data, I'm referring to that helicopter incident as well as that Plutonium transfer the other day. At this time it remains uncertain as to how the CIS is intending to use events like these and to what end. But I think these pressures that are being brought to bare against us are actions within the government which hopes to keep those answers hidden. 

Motoko: Isn't that true for the individual eleven case as well? 

The Chief nods to The Major's question.

Daisuke: They are preventing us from investigating the attempt on the Prime Minister. That was a serious act of terrorism, and sense we were the ones most closely tied to the case we are to be handling it. 

Batou: The problem is that the Prime Minister is a paper tiger and it's the government who is behind this and we're still gonna be biting the hand that feeds us. You're gonna do this anyway? 

Daisuke: Do you have a problem with it?

Batou: I've been waiting for you to say that. 

I get cautious and watch his every move. 

Daisuke: Alright then. Let's go over the mission briefing. 

Then the screen behind him goes on.

Daisuke: All crimes in this file have been committed by various criminal groups. But the one similarity is that they each call themselves the Individual Eleven. The illegal siphoning of funds contributed to J&N, the bombing of a refugee aid association, threats made to a non-profit organization that had donated free prosthetic bodies to refugees, the drowning of a back alley doctor who specialized in prosthetic bodies, the death of a Net Bank President who was killed when hit by a train, the stabbing of the democratic party assembly man, the shooting death of Den Setsu a popular cyber brain rapper, threats made to non-yushimbu press, and now the attempted assassination of the Prime Minister. Initially it was believed that in every of these nine cases there was only one in which the suspect had been spotted. Namely the attempt I just mentioned. However the investigators came across another case in which there was a sighting of a possible suspect. 

Motoko: It's news to me. I thought the National Police Agency wouldn't give out info. 

Daisuke: Yes, they did in this circumstance unlike the Laughing Man case they're taking this one seriously. I have to admit this is creating unnecessary barriers.