Chapter 4

After being told the truth, the gray-eyed boy stopped asking questions about the hunter. He knew who he was anyway and would eventually run into him during a match if he wanted to know more. And finally, that day came. He was on the map of the Red Church, surrounded by walls. His teammates were on the other side of the area where he was and a machine was right behind him so he thought it more efficient to decode immediately than to go and record their appearance. Suddenly, his heart began to glow with a purple light and caused him to miss his calibration, giving away his position to the hunter.

He swore behind his mask then quickly grabbed his cosmetic box and started running in a random direction, hoping that it wasn't the one where the hunter was. Unfortunately, his luck wasn't so good as he came face to face with him. A tall figure wrapped in a black cloak... A mask covering his eyes and two glowing blue lights... Eli Clark. It was the first time he saw him but he was sure it was him, he had seen almost every other hunter at least once. The strange blue owl on his opponent's shoulder only confirmed his identity.

"Well, if it isn't that new survivor. The Embalmer if I'm not mistaken ?"

He smiled as he asked this question. However, Aesop was well aware that he already knew the answer. It was obvious that he was playing with him. Suddenly, the hunter raised his arm, the survivor hid his face behind his make-up box as if to protect himself from a blow, although it was a pointless act. Nevertheless, a few seconds passed and still nothing. The embalmer slowly opened his eyes to see that the strange owl had landed on his box, right in front of him.

"She seems to like you."

"O-oh. R-really...?"

"I think so, this is the first time she's ever come close to anyone but me of her own volition. Even Joseph never managed to pet her even though they have known each other for a long time."

"I-I see..."

Their conversation ended there. Eli didn't move and just stood there watching the embalmer. The latter was rather anxious because of the hunter's presence but he didn't move a muscle either. Soon three machines were finished and only two remained. Aesop suddenly came to his senses, he still hadn't finished the machine behind him, the hunter didn't seem to be attacking him so he wouldn't mind if he decoded next to him, would he...? As he was about to turn around to finish his machine, he thought he saw something fall in front of him then the next moment, a mysterious force pulled him back. It took him a few seconds to see more clearly and realize that he was leaning against the chest of someone, Norton.

"What did you do to him ?" he asked him in a harsh voice.

"Me ? Nothing. As you can see he's still in perfect health." the hunter replied calmly.

Eli was right, Aesop's gauge on the indicator still hadn't moved. That didn't stop the prospector from throwing glares at the seer. Clearly, he wasn't very fond of him. Norton had his two hands on the embalmer's shoulders and was holding him tightly as if to prevent him from approaching the enemy. The latter was already stressed when he was alone with someone, but another one, and so close, really didn't help. It must have been a while since the prospector had come to meet them because another cipher was done and one more, thus allowing the opening of the exit doors.

"You're not leaving ?"

Norton had a bewildered expression. Was he letting them go like this, for real ? Without letting anyone bleed to death ? That was strange. Anyway, regardless of whether it was or not, the prospector pulled the embalmer by the hand to drag him out of there and head for the exit that led to the mansion. The four survivors were gone, victory. On the way back, the other two members came to Aesop and Norton. On one side was Helena with her cane then on the other, Luca.

"What happened ? Was the hunter friendly ?" asked Luca with enthusiasm.

"Who was the hunter Norton...?" continued Helena in a calm voice.

"The seer."

There was a pause as Norton answered. It was no wonder, Eli Clark was known to be one of the most brutal hunters who loved the sight of his victims' blood so the fact that he hadn't done anything all game was suspicious. The eyes of the three turned to Aesop who was walking a little behind them. He suddenly froze in place as he saw three pairs of eyes staring at him. After showing a strange curiosity, some of them had noticed that the embalmer had a strange obsession with the diviner.

"Do you get along with him Aesop ?" said Luca with astonishment.

"N-no... This is the first time I've seen him..."

"What, seriously ? Hey, maybe you left some kind of impression on him !"

Norton kicked the prisoner in the arm with his elbow at this remark, the latter let out a slight cry of pain that was a bit exaggerated in return.

"Hmm... I don't think this is the first time you've been told this but just in case, be careful around him, Aesop. Befriending Eli Clark doesn't bode well... We don't know what's in his mind."

The embalmer nodded slowly at Helena's warning. After that, they finally arrived at the mansion after a few minutes of walking. Since none of them had been hurt, they were able to go straight back to their business. Helena and Luca went their separate ways and Norton had something to do with the mercenary apparently. Aesop took a glass of water in the kitchen and then went up to his room. He had no more matches for the rest of the day so he was free until dinner time. He put his mask on the drawer and sat down, leaning against the headboard.

He thought about what had happened during the match. Eli Clark... A strange person, he thought. He didn't look as threatening as he was led to believe. Well, it could also be a cover as well, he had been told that was the impression he gave after all. But even so, he couldn't stop thinking about the hunter. Today was the first time he spoke to him, he was a little taller than he thought but the glint in his eyes behind his mask was strangely attractive. He wanted to learn more. He himself was surprised to think that, he wasn't the type to be interested in the living.

Well, was he really ? He knew that some of the hunters died once and then mysteriously came back to life, but not all of them, like Yidhra or Hastur. What could be his past ? What had brought him to this hell ? Did it have anything to do with him ? Could it be that he was one of his mentor's customers and that he was angry with him ? The young man cowered, his thoughts taking over again. So many things were troubling him, why him ? Why not someone else ? That night, Aesop fell asleep in his bed without dining, his mind too disturbed and being slightly on edge.