Chapter 10

Slowly, the ashen-haired boy regained consciousness. A soft warmth on his cheek had just woken him up from his sleep and he didn't want to leave it just yet. His eyelids opened slowly and he noticed a similar ceiling, he was in his room and more specifically in his bed.

"Don't you want to let go of my hand ?"

His eyes widened as he heard the voice of another person next to him and he immediately sat up. Two blue orbs were looking him straight in the eyes, Eli Clark. What was he doing here ? He was sure he had been talking with Campbell a moment ago but here he was lying quietly under his blankets. He heard a slight laugh from the hunter and looked down to see that both his hands were clenched to his.

So it was his hand that was against his cheek ? The embalmer's face turned red at this realization and he immediately let go of the hunter's hand. How long had he been holding it ? It was just embarrassing and he hoped he hadn't done anything else too daring.

"I didn't mind staying like this longer ~"

"H-huh ?"

"Anyway, how are you feeling ?" he asked with a smile. 

Unlike earlier, the feeling of suffocation was gone and he even felt quite light despite the presence of the hunter. Which was rare because no matter how well he got along with someone, he couldn't prevent a certain uneasiness from remaining. But it was different when it came to the diviner. More than anything, he was rather self-conscious about his touchy-feely side so he didn't really have time to ask himself if he felt comfortable with him or not.

"I'm... fine..." the male mumbled.

"Glad to hear it ! Hm... After what just happened, maybe I'd better go back to where I came from, our talk can always wait..."

Already ? Aesop thought inwardly. He didn't know exactly what it was about but when the hunter spoke to him, he felt like he had butterflies in his stomach. It was strange but... pleasant. Was it attachment ? He wasn't too sure. It was the first time he felt this way so he didn't really know how to react to the situation.

And as if the hunter had noticed his troubled look, the corner of his lips came up before his hand came to rest, this time on the silver head.

"Or, would you prefer me to stay ? That's fine with me too."

Staying with him... He didn't mind the idea. However, anyone could barge into his room when the sun came up and he didn't want to cause a riot because of the hunter's presence.

"I'll be gone by dawn don't worry ~"

"Hm... If you don't mind..." he admitted in an almost inaudible voice.  

"Not in the least ~" he answered in an amused tone.

More than annoyed, the hunter was rather pleased to see that the survivor was beginning to grow fond of him, even if he didn't seem to notice it yet. Aesop shifted to the side of the bed near the wall to make room for Eli. Fortunately, the bed was more than big enough for both of them despite the hunter's size.

"Hm... Maybe I should take off my cloak first so I don't die of heat."

And no sooner said than done. He undid the pin that attached the two ends of his cloak before putting it on the chair on the side, revealing his platinum hair. He then came to slip into the bed facing the embalmer whose cheeks were pink. The two men looked each other straight in the eyes but neither of them said a word. Or at least, it seemed that Aesop wanted to say something but held back from doing so.

"You should get some sleep."

"W-Wouldn't it be better to take this off first...?" he said, pointing to the hunter's mask with his fingertip.