Chapter 13

"Fly, my friend."

A gloved hand rose indicating the owl to leave. When Eli saw that the two embalmers were in the same match as the prospector, he figured he would take a look. So he sent his faithful companion to the scene and it wasn't long before the animal found the gray-haired boy. The hunter smiled when he saw him in good health. However, he was a little confused when he pulled a mysterious item out of his pocket and the prospector arrived.

Everything happened so fast after that. Fortunately, thanks to the bird's exceptional hearing, he was able to hear the entire conversation, although he could not understand some of the details. After the strange altercation between the two survivors and the hunter, the rest of the game went on quite normally. The bird then returned to the side of his master who was waiting for her in his room.

"Hmm... Something seems off about our dear embalmer, maybe I'll have to go check it out myself to see how it is."

Brooke Rose hooted and came to rest on her perch as if to indicate that she had done her part of the work for the day. Eli chuckled slightly before spreading his wings and stepping out his window. He was in front of the embalmer's in two beats and knocked against it in case the embalmer was already in his room but received no response.

"He should be here soon." he said to himself.

Well, he wasn't going to stand outside like an idiot waiting for Aesop to come back. So he made the decision to play a trick on the window lock and in a few moves, it was opened. Fortunately, it wasn't as if it was broken so the young man wouldn't even see that the hunter had broken in, then even if he did, he would forgive him, right ? He closed the window behind him and came to rest on the mattress, his usual smile drawn on his face. 

He waited. He waited but Aesop still didn't come back. What was taking him so long ? He always went straight back to his room after every match without exception-

"The prospector..." he muttered.

There was no other possible explanation. After all, it was always his fault when something happened to his dear survivor. What if he had made another mistake that would have put the embalmer in a state of distress ? Without thinking for a second more, the hunter closed his eyes, he was going to disturb his owl again but this was a critical situation. His vision cleared on the inside of his room and then on the outside of the manor. Unfortunately, he didn't know where the prospector's room was since he was only interested in the survivor with the mask. He had to scout a few rooms on the first and second floor before he finally found the magnet man's room.

Only what he saw was completely unexpected and horrifying. His Aesop in the arms of another. Why wasn't he pushing him away ? Why was he letting him touch him ? It was the only part of his body that Eli had not yet stained and now it was corrupted by this unsightly scarred human. An immeasurable rage seized the hunter and he opened his eyes again. What the hell was that ? 

He got up hurriedly when he heard the door of the room open and then quickly hid behind the long curtains near the window. His gaze went to the embalmer's face, he was smiling. Did he enjoy that shared kiss with the prospector that much ? Eli didn't want to know the answer to that question. Just thinking about it only added fuel to the fire that was burning intensely inside him.

He was so lost in his thoughts that he had certainly not heard the last sentence pronounced by the young man. Discreetly, he came out of his hiding place to approach the boy with the gray eyes. Surprise was the first thing he saw. Was he disappointed that it was only the hunter and not this other survivor ? Then, a flush of red on his cheeks. What was he thinking ? Had that hope of seeing the hunter again reminded him of that touch ?