Chapter 8- He Wasn't Expecting a Hand to Slip into His

It turns out, there is a lot to mess up at a foreign dinner. For starters, Dream recognized maybe five percent of the food, probably less. Then, it turns out you don't eat until like an hour into the dinner. People would sit and talk and dance around serious issues with light, taunting words. Techno simply nodded and answered any questions in one line. He was looking around the huge room, obliviously bored out of his mind.

Then came the actual eating. First of all, Dream was in shock over the fact that there's like five different knives, spoons, and forks. He took Techno's advice and simply stuck to one set, gaining some amused looks from the snobs. Also, who knew you had to eat things in such small bites? Each bite was so small a mouse could have stolen it. Or an ant! He managed to make it through the first course by the time dessert arrived.

"How are you getting through everything so quickly," he whispered to Techno. The piglin smiled knowingly, glancing at his plate before fixing his eyes on a wall.

"Take really small portions."

Dream nodded and started taking smaller amounts. It tasted amazing, but he was determined to keep up with these stuffy nobles. By the time the meal was finished he was seriously regretting his life choices. His stomach felt full to the bursting point with rich food, his mask was starting to dig into his nose, and people were starting to pay more attention to him.

"So Dream," a duck hybrid said with a sly grin, "is there a reason you wear a mask?"

Dream bit back a loud groan, couldn't he just go up to his room?

"I just got scarred in a fire, and prefer to keep them covered," he said in a civil tone. The duck wasn't deterred.

"Was makeup not sufficient?"

"It was, but it irritated my skin and didn't feel right," Dream said through gritted teeth. He added this hybrid to his list of hybrids to kill.

"Oh, well maybe we'll have something here that will suffice better than L'Manburg," the duck said smoothly. The hybrid next to him laid his hand on top of the ducks and gave him a softly annoyed look.

"That's enough Quackity," he said. "Let's not interrogate the poor boy."

Dream bristled.

"I'm Karl by the way, and I'd like to apologize for my husband's behavior, he's too inquisitive for his own good."

"Nice to meet you," Dream said, his control straining. It was taking all his willpower to not grab the sharpest of his ten different knives and chuck it at the happy couple's head. Tommy, thankfully, swooped in at the last second.

"What even are you," he said, cocking his head. "You look human."

Karl laughed, high and light.

"A chameleon hybrid, actually. I used to live near L'Manburg but then I met Quackity," he explained. As he spoke, a ripple of purple went up his skin, making Tommy's eyes widen.

"How do I do that?"

"You can't," Karl said through a quiet laugh. Tommy frowned, dissatisfied with the answer. Before he could argue back Phil stood, drawing eyes to him.

"We have a big day tomorrow, come on boys."

"Night Phil," Grian called, a playful smile crossing his lips. "See you tomorrow!"

Phil nodded and beckoned for the others to follow. Techno stood quickly and Dream followed him, gratefulness coursing through him. He followed Phil and Schlatt out of the hall, not making eye contact with anyone he passed. Some people pointed, probably thinking they were being discreet, others stared. Dream's hands balled into fists, preparing to punch someone.