Chapter 6: The truth about Y/n's family

Gajeel's POV
After I got back upstairs, I set Y/n down on the banister, being careful to not let her fall. I couldn't stand seeing her cry, so I did the one thing that I never thought I would do.

"Hey," I said. "It's ok."

"N-no, it's n-not," Y/n whimpered, voice starting to sound raspy. "I...I WANTED TO MAKE THINGS UP WITH MY FATHER! I...I said so many mean things to him."

I didn't want to see her like this, so I pulled her in for a hug.

"Shh," I whispered. "It's alright. So what if you said some stuff to your old man. I'm sure that if he were still alive today, he would be proud of the wizard you are."

"N-no," Y/N stuttered. "H-he wouldn't. He wanted me to drop dead. d/n couldn't care less about his only daughter."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "Why would he want you dead?"

"Because I'm the one who caused him so much pain," Y/n said, finally able to catch her breath. "My birth mother died after I was born, and father blames me for it. When he found out that I ran away, he was furious. So he ordered the Southern Wolves to find me...and kill me. But when the group he hired couldn't find me, he started to hunt me down himself."

"And when he couldn't find you, that's when Amethyst took you in," I finished.

"Y-yeah," Y/n said, tears still flowing like a waterfall. "I still loved him, even if he blamed me for my mother's death. He was still my father. I just wish that he could see that it wasn't my fault that Momma died."

"Want me to sing a song for you?" I asked.

"I care about you, and I don't want to see you cry." I thought to myself "So please, stop crying. I'm right here."

"Y-you would do that?" Y/n asked, still crying. "F-for me?"

"Yeah," I answered. "It may not look like I care, but if one of my friends is upset, I'll be right there to cheer them up."

Suddenly, Y/n hugged me back. I didn't even hear her crying anymore.

"Thank you, Gajeel," Y/n said. "Thank you for always being there for me."

"Heh," I laughed. "No problem shortie. Now c'mon. Let's go back downstairs and continue this karaoke day."

Y/n's POV
"Y-yeah," I said. "You go on ahead of me. I need to take some time to calm down."

"Alright then," Gajeel replied. "I'll see you in a bit."

"Yeah," I replied.

Gajeel's POV
After I went back downstairs, I made a beeline for the karaoke machine. Once I made it there, I started talking to Levy.

"Hey, Levy," I said. "Can you play the acoustic version of Stars by Skillet?"

"Yeah," Levy answered. "But why?"

"It's for Y/N," I replied. "I want to cheer her up."

"Alright," Levy said, pulling up the song. "Hey everyone! Gajeel's gonna sing Stars by Skillet! It's to help cheer up our favorite Crystal Dragon Slayer! So c'mon everyone! Let's show her some love!"

"Thanks, Lev," I said.

"No problem, Gajeel," Levy replied. "Anything for a member of Team Shadow Gear."

As soon as I heard the music playing, I grabbed a mic, took a deep breath, and started to head back upstairs to bring Y/n back down.

(Author's note: italics is Gajeel, underlined is you and Gajeel, and bold is the entire guild)