Chapter 12: Uninvited Guests

I put on a nice sweater, some black jeans, and rolled up the sleeves. Proper as can be. I showed up to Applebees after extensive checking that not a hair on me was out of place. Miley showed up a little while after me, and sooner than later, a waiter came to take our order.

"What can I get you two?"

"Um, I'll have a hamburger and fries," I answered.

"OK, and for you, miss?" The waiter smiled.

"Oh, just a salad," Miley timidly ordered.

"Alright! Can I get you guys some drinks?"

"Yea, I'll have a pepsi."

"Same."

As the waiter scribbled our order down in his notepad, I spotted Knox and DeeDee out of the corner of my eye. DeeDee flashed me a pearly grin. Knox waved.

Our food arrived promptly. I couldn't get very many words out of Miley aside from basic compliments.

"This looks pretty good," I said, nearly drooling at the meaty hamburger I was about to dive into.

"So do you," Miley looked at me for the first time tonight.

"Oh, behave!" I said, in my best Austin Powers impression.

Just kidding. But that would have been awesome. I froze. A girl flirting with me?

"Thanks." I looked away. Knox and DeeDee broke into silent raucous cheering/laughter. I struck up a conversation. 

Things began rolling. With every word we spoke, it began to feel less forced and more natural. Miley began hardcore blushing. Things were going great until, from the bar where DeeDee and Knox were hanging out, a scuffle broke out. Knox was trying to restrain DeeDee from punching a guy in a red jacket. Red Jacket swung at DeeDee, connecting with his temple. DeeDee dropped. Enraged, Knox grabbed him and slammed his face into the bar. Three goons, also in red jackets, beat the stuffing out of Knox. As they kicked and spit on my friends, Miley got more and more nervous, trying to hide her self.

"Hey, you, come here!" The lead belligerent pointed to Miley. Miley froze with fear.

"What do you want?" Miley sneered.

"Your new boyfriend will never do what I could for you," Lead Belligerent sneered, as he grabbed Miley by the collar, finally showing his face. I froze in shock.

It was all-around certified good-boy, Connor Channing. Instantly, I got up out of my seat, grabbed my drink, and dumped it on him. He shattered a plate over my head, dropping me. I felt a sticky substance leaking through my hair that definitely wasn't gel. DeeDee, crawling towards the bathroom, was dragged by his ankles by 2 goons and laid on the ground. The goons lifted his leg up.

"What are you doing?" DeeDee groaned. Connor stomped on his kneecap. DeeDee howled in pain. Connor stomped again. DeeDee swore loudly.

"You can't play if your legs are broken," Connor sneered with arrogance. My eyes widened.

"You're crazy! You'll get expelled!" I shouted, getting to my feet.

"My parents are the principal and superintendent of the entire district. I'm untouchable! And even if I wasn't, at least we have a good backup quarterback." 

Blind with rage, I got up, blood staining my best vest. That'll be a trip to the dry cleaners. I grabbed a nearby bottle and smashed it over one of Connor's friends's head. He crumpled. I took the remnants of the bottle and threw it at Connor. He ducked. I grabbed a plate, smashed it over his head, and sighed with relief as he dropped to the floor, covering his head.

Before Connor could stagger to his feet, Knox dove onto him, punching his lights out. Blood leaked from my forehead. Knox relentlessly punched Connor in the nose until his fist was covered in blood.

"He's dead." Knox looked back at me.

"Keep hitting him."

We all hobbled out of the Applebee's, escorted by management. The restaurant was now a whirlwind of shouting and paramedics, and we were lucky to have made it out without the cops being called.

Miley was crying in the backseat of my car, Dee was clutching his right leg, and Knox sat motionless, eyes wide in the front seat.

"Did I just kill that guy?"

"Probably not," I reassured him.

"That's too bad," DeeDee wheezed from the backseat, patting Miley on the shoulder. "Might've a shot to win state if he's dead."

"Maybe if Alex could walk still." Knox began laughing and feeling like his old self. We all began loosening up. Even Miley didn't feel terrible. That was no man we just beat within an inch of his life. That was Connor Channing.

And man, that felt REALLY good.