Chapter 15: Taking Off

We lost the coin toss and would recieve the opening kickoff.

"Number 49, Alex Workman, a senior set to kick it off for the Tigers. Back deep to return for Meadows Ridge is a sophomore, number 28, PJ Shoop."

Pajama Shoes did some half-hearted jumping jacks in the endzone to prepare for the kickoff. As the opening riffs of Crazy Train blared throughout the field, 49 did his little kicker-walk to the left, then to the right, then pointed left, then to the right, then pranced towards the ball and booted it into the sunset. It landed in a sprinting PJ's arms, who scrambled for the sideline.

PJ's legs turned into Roadrunner-esque blurs as he found the sideline. The entire front line instantly rallied together, forming a wall that PJ slipped through unscathed. With only 3 men to beat, PJ crossed the 50 yard line as we all cheered. He blew past me on the sideline as the two pursuers gave up and slowed. With nobody but the tiny kicker chasing him at the 15 yard-line, PJ was almost guaranteed to score, before the kicker made a last-gasp dive. Obviously not trained in chasing or tackling, the kicker had no idea what he was doing, but managed to land a stray-hand on the ball, jarring it free. Neither PJ nor the kicker had any idea the ball was now skittering towards the sideline until PJ heard the entire sideline shout and the two guys pursuing PJ dove on the ball in the endzone. The bleachers on the other side of the field, covered in orange and black, exploded for their Tigers as our D came out against their O.

"Fumble on the play, forced by number 49, Alex Workman, recovered by the Tigers number 21, Tate Ahmed for a Tiger touchback, first and ten Tigers at the 25 yard line!" The announcer stated the obvious. Long Lake's below average offense couldn't gain more than a handful of yards off running plays and punted. DeeDee returned the punt and gave us good field position to start off.

"Number 45, Colby Rice punts it 46 yards. 22 yard return by number 17 DeeDee Brazen, brought down by number 79, Darnell Chievo. The ball will be spotted on the Tiger 46, which brings it out to first and ten Meadows Ridge."

I led the offense out to the field.

"Left full! Left full!!" Geo called from the sideline as DeMarcus made a sweeping motion with his right hand. Jet sweep.

"Jet sweep right. On one, on one." I told the huddle. We got into formation at midfield.

"Ready ready!" I shouted. I looked at Norm, the slot reciever on the right, before cocking my right knee into the air. Seeing this, Norm bolted from his spot to me.

"S'hut!" I shouted. The ball was snapped, and before I even had time to catch it, Norm had taken it and was flying upfield, with 3 blockers. As Norm finally stepped out of bounds, I raised my eyebrows in shock that that had worked. Jet sweeps never get positive yardage. Second and 2.

After Kyle messing up a play led to me getting sacked and Quentin Farmer getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage, Quentin had to punt. Long Lake didn't do much on offense, punting as well. After trading punts for a quarter and a half, a completion to DeeDee and Blake scooting upfield for two consecutive first downs, we got a first down in golden position on the 32 yard-line.

"Liz fight! Liz fight!!" Geo called, ecstatic. Demarcus was right next to him, holding out his left fist.

"Alright, HB dive left. HB dive left. On two, on two."

We broke the huddle. We called Fight, so Knox hauled his 224 pound frame onto the formation, lining up to my right as a tight end. 

"Blue eightyyyyy! Se-hit!" Nobody jumped on my hard count.

"Go!"

Knox plowed into the offensive line, muscling down a defensive lineman. Blake sprinted to me, aiming for Knox's butt. I handed Blake the ball, before pretending to drop back and toss the ball.