Chap 21 "Only One"

Steve's POV

"I don't like him," I stated as I got back to Danny.

"Why?" Danny asked.

"He's the one who disrespected Lilah in LA," I replied.

"Is that the only reason?"

"I know he's trying his best to get with her," I looked at Evan. "I trust Lilah and I know she can hold her own, but I'm afraid her overpower her one day."

"You don't have to worry about Lilah," Danny stated. I turn my attention back to Danny. "You need to worry about yourself."

"Why?"

"I don't need you in jail for murder, okay? And I'm sure Lilah doesn't you in jail either," Danny explained. "Because, if by some miracle that dude survives, she'll go for him."

"Way to boost my confidence," I rolled my eyes. We went back to the Palace. Lilah walked in with Leilani. "Hey." She put Leilani in my office. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing I can't handle," Lilah smiled.

"I have a question," I stated as I looked at her. She looked at me. "If anything were to happen and we weren't together anymore, would you start dating Evan Buck?"

"Steve, nothing's going to happen."

"I'm just saying what if something were to happen?"

"Depending on how severe the situation is, I'd take some time. I won't completely get over you, but I'm not going to date Buck. He's got a lot of issues he's got to figure out and he's just not ready for my kind of relationship."

"What do you mean?"

"He's not ready to have a kid. Let alone move just anywhere for me."

"Okay, then who would you date?"

"There's this guy in LA that I know. His name is Eddie Diaz. He's got a kid."

"A guy who already has a kid," I nodded. "What else about this guy?"

"He was a medic in the Army," Lilah replied. "His son is about eight years old and has cerebral palsy. But the kid is literally so bright about everything." I smiled, knowing how much Lilah loves kids. "The kid's name is Christopher."

"It sounds like you hung out with him more than Evan."

"I spent a lot more time with Evan. I wish I had known sooner, because I would've spent my time taking care of Christopher."

"So, how'd you meet this guy?"

"Eddie worked out of the one-one-eight with Evan."

"A firefighter. Let me take a wild guess and say that you love a man in uniform."

"I guess that's the reason why I fell so hard for you," Lilah smiled at me. "Nothing's going to happen between us. I do want you to meet Eddie and Christopher though." I nodded. "He's a good father to his son."

"The mom?"

"She passed away. He didn't say much about her. He told me about him and his son."

"Sounds like a good guy," I nodded. "Anyways, how was the vic's next of kin?"

"Now that's a story," Lilah sighed. "When I told them, they shut the door in my face and said they'd believe it after they see a body in the morgue."

"I'll send Junior to take them," I stated. "I don't need you taking that kind of heat."

"I understand where they're coming from, Steve. I would like it if I was just told someone in my family had passed," Lilah looked at me. "I would want proof of it first. At least show me the crime scene photo. I wouldn't want my last place to see them is in a morgue. That's a little extreme." I crossed my arms. "I don't think they even knew she was pregnant."

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"They did answer a couple questions for me before slamming the door in my face," Lilah replied. "She didn't have a boyfriend that they know of. I'm guessing she was an escort of sorts."

"I like that you asked questions before giving them the news," I looked at her. "You were definitely thinking on your feet." Lilah nodded. "Did you find out any more information on her?"

"An older brother," Lilah stated as she typed the name into the computer. "Her parents said she'd go to him first before asking her parents for help."

"Alright," I sighed. "Why don't you go back to the daycare? There's about three hours in the day left."

"Okay," Lilah nodded. "If you need anymore, just let me know."

"Always, baby," I smiled. "I'll talk to you when you get home."

Lilah's POV

"I'll see you later" I smiled. I went back to the daycare and Kaycee had the kids outside. "Hey."

"Hey," Kaycee stated. "How was the case?"

"I was told to go home early," I replied. "They got it without me. I did the hard part."

"So, you're a crime fighter by day, and a childcare teacher by day?" Kaycee asked.

"I guess you can say that," I nodded. "But being a childcare teacher is my happiness. Being a crime fighter was a second calling to me when something happened to my daughter. I don't think I can ever do anything like that again unless I needed to." I looked at the kids and smiled. "Being a daycare teacher was the best thing that happened and I wouldn't trade it for anything."

"Not even for your husband?" Kaycee asked.

"Steve will always support me in what I choose to do," I replied. "If I wanna stay with Five-O, if I wanna stay here at the daycare. I'm not leaving these kids again. They're where I wanna be." I smiled. "This is where I wanna be."

A/N: this is the end of the story. I'm glad you stuck around till the end. More stories to come soon. Happy Reading! xoxo ~Alexis