carmen • eddie vedder

a/n: based on some bits & pieces of "verity". enjoy!

i wasn't lost before the night we met,  but i'd certainly never been found until the moment he laid his flaming eyes on me from across the room - i knew we could blow it all away

i had on my red dress that night. it was flowy and dark - the type of fabric that makes your curves look better. i knew that wearing that dress had a hidden message; the perfect dress to take off. 

i plunged into the warm night, heading to a charity event i have not been invited to. only rich people attended events like that. i was anything but rich, but i felt confident enough to pretend i was, at least for one night. i had to get in, just to prove to myself that i could - to feel something. so that's what i did.

as i stood at the bar downing my second martini, my eyes scanned the place: fancy dresses, fake smiles, champagne glasses. i wondered why i was there in the first place, and suddenly it all felt like a joke. being around rich people made me feel different; i felt trapped inside a world that wasn't mine. it was just a fucking boring event, after all. 

but then I saw him. i didn't know his name, but by the way he looked at me, i could almost read his mind. he wanted me. and as i sipped my drink, i knew that i wanted him too. he was walking around with a few other men, always glancing at my direction. i didn't move, until he smiled at me. when i saw his smile, i turned to the bartender, my back to him. "may i get a refill, please?"

i was going to stand there until he came to me.

and he did, eventually. when i saw him approaching me, his features now clearer, it was like we were the only two people in the room. a soft smile touched the corners of his mouth, lips drawing to define his high cheekbones. his eyes were deep blue, and his hair fell to his shoulders in messy beachy waves. he had a distinctive expression on his face, a mix of enjoyment and determination. i wanted to go home with him.

i had no idea who that man was, but the attraction was there, slowly melting and spreading. for my surprise, he put his hand on my shoulder and leaned forward, motioning for the bartender. he didn't look at me, and i watched in quiet fascination as the bartender approached us. "hey, man. make sure you only serve her water for the rest of the evening."

i blinked, tasting his low, raspy voice before absorbing his words. leaning an arm on the bar, i turned to face him. he moved his hand from my shoulder, but not before his fingers brushed all the way down to my elbow. A flicker of electricity flashed through me, mixed with a surge of anger. i raised an eyebrow. "you're in no position to make that decision for me." the bartender shook his head and went back to his task, leaving us alone.

he smirked, and even though i hated the arrogance behind that smirk, i was definitely drawn to him. "i know i'm not, but i've been watching you." i rolled my eyes; his attractiveness was quickly fading with that attitude. "what does that mean?"