25. Sequel Part VI - The Conference

Orthopaedic surgeon Dr Eddy Chen arrived in San Francisco to attend a sports medicine conference.

He had checked into his hotel and had been in his room to unpack. As he was just about to leave his room to meet up with his fellow orthopaedic surgeons in the downstairs lobby, his phone gave a ping. He picked up his phone and smiled. It was a picture of a newborn baby wrapped in a pink blanket. He texted back.

"Congratulations. She is so beautiful. Looks just like her mother. I can't wait to meet her."

Eddy left his hotel with his colleagues he met up in the lobby to walk across the street to the university where the conference was being held.

It was around lunchtime and the university campus was full of students.

As he walked along with fellow doctors, he felt something bump into his leg. He looked down and noticed it was a football. He smiled and picked it up.

"Thank you sir!!"

Eddy turned towards the voice and saw a young male student in a stadium varsity jacket waving and running towards him from a distance. Eddy quickly gauged the distance from himself to the young man in yards, despite coming from a country that used the metric system.

Eddy put down his briefcase on the ground by his feet. He then held the football with both hands in front of his chest. When the young student saw Eddy do this, he instantly knew Eddy could throw, so he stopped running over, grinned and raised his hand.

Eddy took one step towards his target and made his overhand throw. It was a perfect football spiral throw that landed into the hands of the young man.

"OMG that was easily 50 yards...!"

"Dr Chen, where did you learn how to throw a spiral like that?"

Eddy smiled.

"I played American Football in senior high school and at university."

"But didn't you go to school in Japan? Isn't that rather unusual?"

Eddy smiled.

"Yes, it was very... special."

Later in the night, Eddy smiled into his facetime app as his call was accepted by its recipient. 

"Hey there."

"Hi Eddy, how's the jetlag."

Eddy pulled a face, then grinned.

"Really bad. At least it's good for calling you though."

"Yes. Thanks for calling me at a sensible hour for me, I appreciate it. So how's the conference?"

Eddy pretended to yawn.

"Boring as.

The caller chuckled.

"...I miss you Eddy."

Eddy chuckled back.

"But I've only been gone 36 hours or something!!"

"36 hours too long....!!"

"Ok, truth? I miss you, too."

"You'd better, Eddy."

"So I got the picture of Bettany's baby this morning. It's a little girl. So cute."

"Yeah? That's great. She and her husband must be so happy. You want me to send her flowers? I can order them online for you."

"Yeah, I'm sure they are. The flowers, I've already done it, sent from the both of us. But thanks for offering."