Chapter Two

An enthralling play of light and progressive art rock music filled the Shibuya Hikarie complex while a long line of elegant supermodels walked down the runway wearing some of the most striking hair compositions the event has ever seen. Intricate braids forming into colorful flowers mixed in with technology-driven fashion. It is that time of the year for Fashion Week Tokyo and top hair designer Miura Sumire is presenting the latest creations from her team. She leads Miura Roppongi, the top hair design agency in Japan frequented by famous personalities in the entertainment industry– foreign actors, musicians, and supermodels. Miura has agencies worldwide.

Miura-san appears on the runway after the cortége of supermodels, one of them hands her a bouquet of carefully-arranged flowers. The audience stood to clap, it's the best they've seen in all the years they've been attending the show.

"I want to thank you for being here tonight, to find beauty with us. We offer that beauty to every girl via a hair design, and hope that it will lead her to the future she deserves."

"I want to thank my design team, for working relentlessly on every hair sculpture. Most of all to Aihara Yuzu, our Associate Creative Director, for coming up with new hair innovations this year. I hope you have enjoyed this full bloom. Please come join me on the runway, Aihara-san."

Out comes Aihara Yuzu, radiant in a diamond-encrusted Balmain tweed dress. She flashes her disarming signature smile, respectfully bowed and gamely posed for the press and the PR teams present at the show. A storm of glitter and confetti fell as the audience clapped. Miura-san laughs at how unaffected and childlike Yuzu is. Still beaming, still the happiest amongst her creatives, despite the nights without sleep perfecting every hair construction and design.

"Congratulations, Yuzu." She smiles as she joins Yuzu and the creative team backstage. The space is brimming with flowers, well-prepared cuisine and bottles of Moët & Chandon. They share a toast.

"Thank you for your faith in me, Miura-san. I promise to work even harder."

"No, no, no. Please." The self-made, 47-year old hairstyling genius stops her. "Thank YOU."

After catching up with her colleagues, Yuzu stepped back and let herself relish the celebration for a bit. Not a bad life to find herself in, considering her grades back when she was a schoolgirl. The memory made her smile.

"Yuzu, don't you think it's time for you to step up?"

Miura-san found her quietly contemplating this captivating scene of happy, beautiful people.

"To start building your brand and leading your own creative team?"

The question surprised Yuzu but she tried to recover fast to hug the hairstyling icon tight. Miura was taken aback but laughs at Yuzu's boundless energy.

"Thank you, Miura-san!" Yuzu smiles, "But one more year, maybe? I feel like I still have a lot to learn. I'm aware that it's not going to be just hair design. That's the easy part. It's going to be about managing people, and finance? Oh my God, Math! I'm afraid I don't have enough brain for that!"

"I feel that you are ready, Yuzu. To be able to put up a major show like this with no guidance and with only a skeletal staff shows your maturity."

"I have been thinking about this for a year, it has finally come knocking. I plan on inviting designers and investors to our atelier in a couple of weeks to take a look at your work and from there decide if you should be promoted to lead Miura."

"From that point on, it will train you to lead your own team and build your own brand."

Miura-san clinks her champagne glass to Yuzu's, "Cheers?"

Yuzu contemplated the idea for a bit. She's happy, she's currently living her best life. She loves her work, this craft. She wants to be in it for as long as she could. Anything that came off it– her beautiful home in the high end district of Tokyo, the numerous cars she's been given by the brands she's worked with, not bothering to check the price whenever she dines at any Michelin-star restaurant or in buying any designer piece she likes– is just bonus. She's dating the beautiful and popular Japanese actress Arai Nanao.

And more importantly, she's surrounded with friends and family that love her despite the crazy lifestyle. She feels nothing but excitement about the future. Honestly, there's nothing more she could ask for.

"Cheers," she answers sheepishly, grateful to her mentor, Miura-san. Yuzu's glass is overflowing, the celebration mirrors her life at the moment. But she's willing to accommodate her mentor's ideas. If anything, she's willing to do more. To give back and not take anymore, for the people she loves.

"Thank you, Miura-san, I'll do my best."