Chapter Five

"Mei, how are you?"

The business executive is apprehensively looking down at her cup of coffee, Yuzu has taken her to the café where they had their first date as teenagers. It's the first time she's felt her age, as they're the only grown-ups around. Her pleated steel blue Issey Miyake dress and Yuzu's tailored houndstooth check wool jacket and intricately-embroidered boots are standing out from the sea of denims and school uniforms.

But more than that, it's being asked a simple, human question. She's forgotten how good it feels to be asked how she is. When it's always Are we hitting the financial targets? Are we setting the right objective for this project? Is this the correct route for the thematic marketing campaign?

"Well, we're planning on expanding the school. But I'm not yet happy with the proposals that were presented." She replies.

Yuzu smiles at her. Mei takes a sip from her cup to distract herself from that beautiful sight. She tries to elaborate further on the conversation to suppress the memories trickling in with it.

"The expansion team wanted to include retail shops in the area, and I'm not sure it's the right route to go, but–"

"Of course, it's extra profit gained but there are several ideas I am opposed to."

Yuzu reaches out a hand to gently brush at the concealer the Miura style team has insisted on applying around Mei's eyes temporarily to hide a bit of the few premature lines and the dark areas before they left the atelier. "I'll get you another shade, I don't think this is the right one," Yuzu says to her tenderly.

Mei flinched for a bit on the first contact. It's the first time in years someone's braved the odds to touch her face and honestly she's scrambling to find a question to ask to stamp out the tiny flicker it brought to her heart.

"So, Yuzu, is it true that you're planning to propose to Arai-san?"

Yuzu giggled and spit her coffee all over Mei. 30 years old, and still, her first love cannot seem to carry a proper date conversation.

"Oh my God, Yuzu! Gross!" exclaims Mei, flapping her long, elegant hands to shake off the liquid.

Yuzu is now laughing uncontrollably, she folds a napkin and reaches out to wipe at the coffee stains on Mei's hair and dress.

"You refused me a haircut, and now I've got coffee all over my hair and dress!" Mei groaned in disbelief.

Yuzu is the only person in all of Tokyo who is able to spit food all over Mei and not fear for her future or her life.

"Mei, have we ever gone on a date that's without a disaster?" Yuzu puts a hand over her mouth, she's on the brink of tears trying to suppress another burst of laughter looking at how bothered her ex-girlfriend is. "By the way, this coffee is also gross."

"I think I didn't notice it the first time we were here because I was so nervous around you then. And I was worried you might not be enjoying what I wrote on that silly notebook."

That silly notebook. Mei's expression shifted to longing. That's the best date I've ever had.

Yuzu smiled and went back to Mei's question.

"Well, about Nanao, where did you hear that by the way? You know the industry I'm in, it's full of aesthetically beautiful people. Easy to get attracted to, easy to exchange contacts with and get into the whole dating process. But hard to get into something serious and long term, like marriage. We don't think about that much."

"So, no I'm not proposing. I think it's rumours from the tabloids."

Yuzu stirs her coffee and looks intently at Mei's eyes. Mei shyly looks away. Yuzu has matured so beautifully and her confidence disarms the tycoon.

"It's good to see you, Yuzu. Thank you for inviting me to have coffee."

There's no notebook now to guide Mei on what to say or do next. And Yuzu is enjoying how it makes her former sweetheart uncomfortable, even after all these years.

She grins at Mei. "Should we step outside, hold each other while looking at the sunset?" she teases.

"Oh my God, Yuzu! Stop it!" Mei's cheeks are bright red. Yuzu covers her face with her hands as she is already wheezing from laughing so much.

"Be careful what you ask for, I just might agree to it." Mei threatens.

Yuzu's eyes widened three sizes.