If Rue lived (A HG Fanfic)

• Dedicated to Caius Erickson

This story starts off when Katniss finds Rue tangled hopelessly in the net. Where in the original book Rue was killed, in this book... well, you'll find out. ;) 

"RUE!" Katniss screams my name from somewhere near by. "KATNISS!" I scream again. Katniss sees me and runs over desperately sawing through the ropes trapping me in a death trap.

"Rue, where are they? Are you hurt? I'll get you out of this!" Katniss asks me rapidly. "District 1, please just get me out quickly Katniss!" "There you go Rue. Now where is he?" I can't tell her because I don't know myself, but I will know soon enough.

Right then - I think his name is Marvel - he comes bursting through the trees hurling a spear right at me! My small agile frame lets me dodge the spear, but not before it skims my shirt, tearing it and leaving a light cut on my side. I hear the cannon and look up quickly, praying that Katniss is alright. Katniss is fine, but Marvel isn't. I look at him, an arrow sticking out dead center of his throat.

"Rue, are you alright?" She asks me. "Yes, I'm fine, just a small cut. Thanks for saving me." "No problem, really, it's just... I didn't even know his name." "I think it's Marvel." I tell her almost whispering. "oh... Marvel, okay then." She says, so quietly that I think she might be talking to herself.

"We have to get out of here." Katniss tells me firmly. "Okay, where to?" "Back to where we first met, I think it's safe there." "Sounds good a plan as any." I say and were on our way.

The hour walk there is uneventful but Katniss does manage to shoot 2 more grooslings. After we get there she skins them and I pick some berries. When she's done she says while smiling, "Done, now we have super."

"Do you think that... never mind." Katniss says while cleaning her knife. "What Katniss?" "Well, it's just that... I'm worried about Peeta!" she says then lets out one small little choking sound like she's going to cry, but she doesn't. "Katniss, I'm sure he's fine." "Rue, I... I need to find him, just to make sure." "Okay Katniss, lets go." "No Rue, stay here, I wont be gone more than a day." "Are you sure Katniss?" "I'm sure Rue, I... I need to do this." In reply, I just nod. Thinking to myself that I can't let her do this.

She gives me more than half the food and tells me "I'll shoot more on the way." I take the food gratefully and wait 5 minutes after she leaves, then start to follow her. I take to the trees and after about 2 hours of this I am exhausted, so I start to travel on foot. Katniss must have really good tracking skills because she finds Peeta in a remarkable time. When she finds him, he's practically invisible because his camouflage is so amazing. After Katniss has cleaned him up and I've eaten a groosling leg, I see the cut. A deep one that could easily be fatal! 

As I get closer I hear them talk. "Katniss... I love you, thank you for finding me." Peeta says. "I...I...I love you too." Katniss says and leans in and kisses Peeta full on the mouth. "Stay with me." He says. "Always." I barely hear Katniss say.