Chapter 38: Talk

"I hope so too," a familiar voice said.

As I turned around, I saw the man I had adored growing up. The famous Iron Man actor stood behind me, with his iconic smile. At that time, I didn't know how to feel, all my emotions were mixed together. A feeling of anger, sadness, confusion and happiness ran through my face, which was clearly noticable on my face.

"I know that I'm probably the last person you want to see now, but I came to, I guess, apologize," He said.

"I guess it's fair to give you time to talk, you must've gone through a lot of trouble," I said, sitting down on the couch, gesturing he could do the same.

"Thank you, you don't have a reason to be so nice to me. I'm sorry I couldn't get any custody over you when you were little, because of my criminal record the judges said it wouldn't be 'safe' for you to grow up with me."

"You don't need to apologize for that, I know from the stories my brother told me that you did fight for it. Please, continue."

"In the contract stood that I couldn't contact you or your brother until you were both over the age of 18, for legal reasons, but when I tried to reach out, I couldn't get contact."

"What do you mean? I would never dismiss the person I had been waiting to see my entire life, what happened?"

"I wanted to call you on your 18th birthday, say 'happy birthday', stuff like that, but your stepfather answered the phone and told me you didn't want any contact."

"Charles, that son of a bitch. You were the one who called back then, the angry phone call."

"Well, he was pretty angry, you can say that. After that, I tried reaching out by calling and even sending cards, but I never got responses. Eventually I gave up, thinking that it would never work. And then, six years later, I saw you on screen being the kid's girlfriend."

"That is why we needed to come to the restaurant, because you wanted to see Y/n," Tom said who sat next to me.

"Exactly. I didn't say anything because I thought you didn't want any contact with me, but eventually I got tired of keeping it a secret from you and after I found out through some other people that you did miss having a dad around, I decided to reach out one more time."

"You know you have my number, right? You could've just called me," I said.

"Yeah, that would've made more sense now you mention it, and it's probably less creepy. See, I knew I forgot something."

"Oh well, can't say that I was surprised at this point. My life has always been a little very crazy, so I guess this wouldn't be extremely shocking, just the normal amount. But do I have to go by Y/n Downey now or something?"

"Well, that's totally up to you, of course. You're an adult, you can make that choice for yourself."

"Right, see, I knew I forgot something."

"You two are related, no doubt," Tom said, watching us.

"And if you want, we can let the world know. Again, only if you want to," Robert, or should I say dad, said.

"Yeah, I guess we can do that. We're not being illegal, so I suppose there's no problem there," I said, giving him a smile.

Soon after that, Robert left, but I gave him a hug before he stepped outside.

"It was nice to finally get to know you, dad."

"Same here, kid."