4 | RIHAN

Parties aren't my thing. Sure, I can party all night if I want to, but I avoid the scene as much as possible. Not tonight, though. It wouldn't be a party without me; after all, it's thrown for me. My friends tell me this every time I try to leave, but I doubt it. I'm losing the game, and they're relishing in my misery.

"You're a bunch of assholes," I mutter under my breath before gulping the drink and setting the glass down on the table.

"Huh. Don't be a sore loser." Laughter surrounds me, and my scowl deepens. I don't know why I'm whining now because I wanted to play beer pong. It was my A-game in college to impress girls, and my arrogance thought I was still a pro. Ha! I really should have known better. Veer and I have lost our charm after six years.

"Why are you giving me hell at my party?"

"The groom is supposed to be the centre of attention," another friend chimes in, evoking more laughter from the group.

"Ha ha ha." I sway slightly as I rise from the bar stool, somewhere between tipsy and drunk. I don't know how many I've had, but who's counting? I can already tell I'm going to be so sick tomorrow. "I give up."

"Where are you going?"

"I need some fresh air," I answer, feeling the onset of nausea. "Veer will drink on my behalf." When I turn to face him, I find an empty seat. What the fuck? Mr. India?

Rishi snorts, his gaze moving toward the dance floor. "He is drunk off his ass, or he wouldn't be dancing with them."

I turn around and blink to clear my vision. Did I invite all these people? God, I'm not even sure where the room starts or ends. It takes me a few minutes to spot my best friend, and what a sight it is. He's dancing with three women and the grin on his face is larger than life. I can't help but smirk. Serene would love to watch it. I take out my phone and start recording it.

The room suddenly spins, and I stagger forward, nearly dropping my phone.

"Easy there." Rishi grips my arm and steadies me. "Want me to go with you?"

"Nah." I save the video and nudge my chin in Veer's direction. "Keep an eye on that idiot for me, will you?"

"Done."

I start up the stairs and come to a halt in front of what appears to be a smoking room. The figure on the couch looks familiar. Mira's name flits through my mind, and warmth spreads through me. Laughing at my foolishness, I make my way to the balcony. Why would Mira be here? It's only been three hours, but my brain is shutting down. This is why getting wasted has never been my idea of a good time. But, as the loser of the game, I don't have much of a choice. Veer, Ryan, and I were a team until my dear brother was summoned by his girlfriend. That left me with Veer, who's just as buzzed as I am—at least I can hold my alcohol better than him. 

As I lean against the railing, I am greeted by the cool night breeze, which is a welcome relief from the heat of the crowd. The distant hum of traffic blends with the faint music emanating from the party downstairs, creating a symphony of urban sounds that reverberates through the air. I grab a bottle of water from the shelf and twist off the cap, downing the liquid in one go. It settles my stomach, making me feel better than dead.

I head back inside, my gaze automatically scanning the dimly lit room for the woman I saw earlier. Much to my surprise, she is still lying on the couch, her arms hanging limply by her sides. Before I can get a better look at her face, a man blocks my view of her, and it is only then that I realize what's happening. Disgust washes over me, and without a second thought, I storm in and yank him off her.

"What the hell?" The man glares at me, but he can't get away until I let him, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. I look around the room and notice others staring at us, their expressions a mix of curiosity and judgement. It makes my blood boil. People only know how to pass judgement, but never act.