Chapter 17

We finally got home and off of that stupid bus. When we got home Harper was already there and Melody was on her way after all of the other kids got home. I still didn't get the bus situation. Harper gets on the bus earlier in the morning and gets home earlier. Melody gets on the bus later in the morning and then in the afternoon she gets home later also. I asked Grammy and she said that when you're older you start earlier but then get home earlier also. Public school is complicated. Homeschool you all start at the same time and end at the same. We walked up to the house, Harper was sitting on the porch swing reading (like normal) and Grammy was in the garden on the side of the house pulling weeds.

"How was your first day of school?" grammy asked, standing up wiping dirt off her pants.

"Mine was really good. I met this boy in my class named Lucas. He rides the bus too!" Carter said like it was the best thing in the world.

"Josie how was yours?" Grammy said. Grammy was my favorite Grammy in the whole wide world. I could tell her anything and she would understand. But, everyone was staring at me and I couldn't tell her now.

"My day was great. I made three new friends." I said

"That's wonderful! I have some time before Melody gets home. So, I'll whip you up a snack." said Grammy smiling and walking in the house.

Melody came home and was super excited. Then about 30 minutes after mum and dad came home. We ate dinner which was meat loaf. Then we are sitting on the porch talking and sharing about our days.

"Oh, Carter, you said that you made a friend named Lucas?" Grammy asked.

"Yes, why?" Carter responded

"He lives down the road. In that yellowish house." said Grammy excitedly.

"Cool. Then we can hang out all the time." Carter said with a big smile on his face.

"Hey Josie, you haven't said much today." said mum. When mum said that everyone just stared at me again.

"Um... did you guys find any good houses?" I asked about trying to change the subject.

"Oh mum on that topic..." Mum said to Grammy completely forgetting about the question she asked me.

It was now time to go asleep in the living room on the old sleeping bags. Listening to the weird noises. I don't pray much besides when we go to church. But, tonight I asked god very quietly for something good to happen tomorrow.