Chapter 2

His scent was trapped in Rose's room, still floating as she made her way back with a list of job's Richard left for her. And she couldn't say if she enjoyed the smell of cigarettes and whiskey, or if it did indeed terrify her. A face like that doesn't belong in a place like this. What did he mean by that? Maybe she was in for much more than she could handle, but she couldn't run away. No. She wouldn't run away.

Her parents would never let her run from a challenge. They would be ashamed to have her walk back because she was too scared to face a big city. Not after her history of not being scared to face challenges. To ride the horses deemed unrideable, run through a forest after her older cousins when they thought it would be funny to steal her sketches. Rose was never someone who would hide when faced with something difficult. Thomas Shelby wouldn't be the first. Opening a window, Rose let his scent drift out, sitting back at her desk that was piling in material ready to made into shirts and blouses. It wasn't grand dresses like Rose wanted to be making, but it would be her hand to set them apart.

As the time ticked by, Richard would come in from time to time. Whether that would be with a cup of tea or because the store was empty, it didn't matter. Rose valued his quality of chatting about absolutely nothing while also opening up about all his life journeys and promises. Like his detailed description of him and his wife's trip to the seaside, one of the only times they managed to escape the city. It was raining that day he told her, but he would never forget the day free from smoke in his lungs. Free from his responsibilities. Rose would prop her chin up in her hand and encourage him to continue, sharing her love of romance novels.

When the afternoon arrived and they took a break for lunch, Thomas Shelby's scent was gone. Richard had made a comment about it, cursing himself for not making it obvious that he didn't want him smoking around the suits. Rose made a point to tell him next time she saw him. The next stories were of her own. Of the farm she grew up on, the only child of a farmer and florist. He made the obvious comment about her being named after a flower, and Rose gave the grand story of how it came to be. Once you've told someone your whole life story, you have a connection that is unrivaled. Even if you eventually part, you'll remember that first conversation for the rest of your life.

They worked together to get the rest of the work done, only a few customers coming in for suits and other clothing needs. Rose would welcome them gracefully and they would stay longer for her charm, which Richard greatly adored. His wife was the same, welcoming in the customers with a smile and offer of a helping hand. And when Richard would intervene to take care of the clients, Rose would nod and go back to her work. It was only her first day, but Richard was convinced he made the best choice in hiring her.

"You can go home now Rose, I think you've done more than enough," Richard leaned on the doorframe, his white hair flowing with him.

"You sure because I've almost finished all of the-"

"Go home, get some rest, perhaps meet someone. But no Shelby's," he pointed at her.

"What will they send the Peaky Blinders on me?" She joked.

While offering his own life stories, Richard eventually told Rose in detail who Thomas Shelby and his family was, mostly after her demands. She did not want to be left in the dark if she was to possibly work for Thomas Shelby again. Richard almost insisted she give the work to him when he saw the eagerness in her eyes. But she promised to avoid all of them when she left his shop, not to let herself slip in their "dodgy business" as he called it.

"I don't even wanna think about it," he waved his hands around.

"Okay okay, I already told you I won't be talking to them," she said "apart from the one who'll be coming here."