11. Strategies

Joe could picture Cherry, his neatly pinned hair, the smooth folds of his yukata. He could also picture Kaoru, in his sober navy blue uniform, a look of order that clashed with the stainless steel piercings. Neither images matched the exhausted character before him, his knees in his chest, cheek pressed against the steering wheel.

After they had retrieved the car from the mountain, a directive which had completely confused the taxi driver, the pair lingered in the driveway of Joe's apartment. He cleared his throat, breaking the silence.

"Maybe...we should lay low from S for awhile... encourage the kids to do the same."

Cherry shifted to face him. He stared at Joe in a way that him feel like Cherry was looking through him, rather than at him. Resigned and passive.

"Langa wants to skate Adam. You won't be able to stop him."

"Why the hell would he want-"

But the thought of Langa carrying Reki back to the car, his firm but quiet care, dislodged old memories in Joe. This, he could imagine. He knew the shape of Langa's feelings, that initial anger, the desire to beat back against Adam for the pain he had so carelessly caused.
But Joe also knew how quickly that anger could unravel an individual. It made him feel bigger than he was, but when it mattered, he had barely been able to face Adam last night.

He stopped mid sentence, pushing a hand through his hair, sighing. Of course Langa wanted to skate Adam. They all did. The sun rose higher in the sky. Joe looked back at his companion, weary.

"So we're gonna help them, yeah?"

Cherry nodded, carefully. He straightened, something like determination hardening his expression. Something like that. It disappeared as quickly as it came. Cherry seemed to go back to that place inside himself, where his eyes were vacant, when he was so still. His chin tipped slightly upwards, and Joe wondered if he was thinking about watching Adam on the screen, like he had during the race.

I'd say watch me, but I know you will.

Joe slipped out of the car, tapping repeatedly against the glass on the driver's side. Exasperation, now. A flutter of a frown. Cherry rolled down the window. "Yes, I will send you a message when I get home. Don't smudge the windows."

"Whatever you say, Four Eyes."

His scowl deepened. Good. They were still functioning, for now at least. The car sputtered out of the driveway and swung the corner.

Joe lay on his stomach in the too small bed.
Food could come later. A shower could come later. Planning the next step? Later.

Now, he needed to rest.

He waited until he knew that Cherry had gotten home alright, and then went to sleep, pressing the pillow over his head to create the illusion of darkness.

When Joe woke up, it was late afternoon. He stubbornly attempted to maintain his Sunday routine by dressing and skating over to the Anytime Fitness, praying it wouldn't be crowded. Joe was used to having the place to himself in the early hours of the day.

Thankfully, there was only one other person at the gym. It was a familiar face, though without all the paint and leather.
"Shadow?"

The taller man gave Joe a dirty look and dramatically turned around. A pink shirt advertising a flower store was stretched over his chest.

"Shadow? Who's Shadow? Never heard that name in my life."

"Didn't know you came here, too."

"...Trying it out."