[07]

***

***

A time of triumph awaited Fleur the following night of the first task. The Beauxbatons students threw a party for Fleur's win. Even if she did get last place, we still considered it a victory. She had performed well, possibly the best, if it hadn't been for the dragon's snores. And if as simple as that caused her the loss, we knew just how good she had done before those events. Even if that wasn't the case and she lost for a different reason, it didn't bring down anyone's spirits. Madame Maxime told us all to not cause too much ruckus, as she would be gone on a walk with an old friend for the remainder of the evening. You could imagine the snickers as she left.

Nevertheless, our students never left the area around the carriage. We stole a few bottles of single-malt whiskey from the Care of Magical Creatures instructor in charge of our Beauxbatons horses. We thanked the horses as we left for sharing their drinks.

Once everyone had a single drink in them, they were already light-headed. Even if I was one of the students smuggling alcohol into the party, I never drank. I also was tasked to keep Gabriel away from the older students.

In the middle of the party, I saw Chase try and make his way over to us. Gabriel was zoned out into a book she was reading, never once being bothered by the music playing or other students' conversations.

"Hey, Nadeleine," I could smell the whiskey on his tongue.

"Hello, Chase," I sighed. I did not feel like enduring any of Chase's antics today.

"I was just speaking with Timothée and —"

"What do you want, Chase?"

"Well, Timothée thinks it is a good thing to free people of cages. And he would like to free you of yours," at Chase's too subtle of tones, Gabriel finally looked up from her pages.

"I am not following," my eyebrows furrowed together, and Chase let out an exaggerated huff.

"He considers it best if you two do not speak anymore."

"Is this because Fleur performed well, and he is agitated from the loss? Because if so, then I will gladly not speak with him when he is like he is."

"No, it is not that. He is as happy for Fleur as the ladies are. He is. . . . rather bored," he choked out.

"Rather bored?" I repeated; I saw out of the corner of my eye Gabriel's interest spike. Chase nodded, and my teeth clenched together. "If Timothée is "rather bored" of me, then tell him to get enough courage and come over her himself."

Chase stood up and walked away without a word. And now my night was ruined.

***

I walked to the Great Hall the next morning for breakfast, still being in a bad mood from the past night. I was rounding a corner when a handclasp to my wrist and pulled me back. I looked around to see Timothée being the one who tugged at my hand.