TWO

——— HAYDEN HAD BARELY MADE it out the car that morning, it was a miracle that she even made it to lunch. Though, that didn't mean she wasn't on the brink of losing her mind as she huffed out a tired breath, strolling through the clear path ahead of her— which was so evidently purposely cleared for just her liking, perhaps because some were afraid to do as much as breath near her, or it could've been because some wished to earn those brownie points, either way, she hated it. And she especially hated all the eyes that came with straight path carved for her.

Four classes and she was already sick of the effect that being Denny Burke gave her. She merely wished for one thing; to be seen as anything more than just a Burke, but that was the last possible thing that could happen at this school, and the last couple hours of her life came to prove that.

It was always, 'Hayden! how are your parents?' or 'Hayden Burke, good to have you in class. I had your brother last year!' And she could see right through their little act— the favouritism they sent towards her just because she was the daughter of two of the most praised alumni's from Eden Hall. It was like the last name was the only thing that made her... valid.

An uneasy feel spread through Hayden as she turned the corner into the cafeteria, trying to avoid as many eyes as she could, but that didn't stop the burning feel they had on her. It was worse knowing why too. First day of high school and she was already the talk of the whole place— her and her brothers of course, and even if Grayson and Emeroy received pleasure from being a popular topic of conversation, Hayden most definitely didn't.

The girl found her eyes wandering over to an easily identifiable lunch table, which she was grateful for more than anything. The last thing she wanted to do was wander around the cafeteria looking for her friends and have more eyes looking at her. So, simply, the girl tried to remain as unnoticed as she could as she strode over to them, flashing the first genuine smile of relief she's had all day.

"Mollie, are you stupid?" Was the first snip-it of their conversation she had gotten. Keaton glared solely at the dark haired girl across from him as Denny cautiously slid into the seat next to him, eying them both as they spoke.

"No, I'm not, as a matter of fact," Mollie De Loughrey scoffed, rolling her eyes as she picked at her food, waving her fork around while she spoke, "I'm just saying, the power to take other people's powers is the most superior— there's no limit!"

"But that wasn't the question!" Keaton hissed, throwing his hands up as he eagerly leaned across the table, "it's simple. Flight or invisibility. Pick one!"

"I'm not going to pick one, they're both lame."

The boy stared at her, blinking in disbelief as he watched her nonchalantly eat her food as if she didn't just break his heart into a million pieces. "Take that back," he pouted, genuine hurt in his eyes, "you can't tell me being able to fly wouldn't be sick."

"To my stomach? Yeah it would," she countered, rolling her eyes. Mollie shook her head, accusingly pointing her fork at him, "have you forgotten I'm afraid of heights?"

The boy's shoulders deflated. "Oh right," he scoffed, "you're a coward..."

Mollie's cold gaze instantly shot up at him, her jaw falling open as she began to retort, probably thinking up something that would say that she wasn't a coward, she just had a fear of something that was totally normal to be afraid of. However, Keaton was quick to speak again, passively waving his hands around.