Irene

The night air felt eerie on Mark's skin. He sat in the back seat of a Cadillac, looking out to the streets of Seoul. "There is unexpected traffic. Should I notify the Welsh family of your late arrival?" The driver said to Mark. "No, please don't." Mark sighed, grateful for the delay. Mark was to have dinner with the Welsh family for the first time. He looked like a suitable fiance to any family with his polished suit and expensive watch, but none of that even matter with a title like his. Facing his bride-to-be, Irene, felt painfully morbid in his mind. No amount of guilt he felt in the pit of his stomach was able to mask his determination for CEO. In standstill traffic, Mark looked out his window, hoping to distract himself with scenery more than his thoughts. 

He saw her. With a faint smile on her face, she walked past the local street vendors. Her presence of utter grace was shown by the way she carried herself and it was felt by everyone around her. "Ryung?" He murmured to himself. Mark couldn't pry his eyes off of her. He perched his head outside of the car window as she walked farther down the road in hopes of seeing one last glance of her. He saw her smile aimlessly and couldn't help the faint grin that came across his face. It had been a month since the Yi family had been tarnished from society and Mark couldn't help but think of Ryung from time to time. As he lost sight of her Mark slouched back into his seat, rolling his window all the way up. He had thought of her during his lengthy meetings and painful family dinners. In the late hours of the night, he could still sometimes see her petite frame on his balcony. She haunted his thoughts every time he sipped on champagne or pondered about his marriage. Ryung couldn't seem to escape the depths of Mark's thoughts. 

As the traffic cleared up ahead, the car began to move again. Mark sighed and reached down into his pocket. He grasped at the piece of gold jewelry he kept in secret and closed his eyes. Why was it so difficult for him to accept his role nowadays? It was formidable for him to wear a stiff tie around his neck and obey the orders of his father. He was beyond infatuated by Ryung for the effortless beauty she possessed. He wanted to look at the world the way she did. For the past month, he had strived to feel the way he did that on that one night with her. To feel in tune with the consequences of your life and finally breathe for the first time. If prospective could change, would his mind of his follow? Would his thoughts ruin his actions in life? He hadn't felt the same since Ryung. He wanted to face the world with sheer and utter confidence as he had before they met. Mark yearned to be carefree so that he, just for once, could depart from despising every square inch of his own being. 

-

"What a handsome young man!" Mrs Welsh beamed at Mark from across the table. Irene's dark eyes shot daggers towards Mark who sat solemnly. "We are pleased to have you here today Mark. I am sure you will make our Irene happy and build an empire together." Mr Welsh spoke. He was in the petroleum industry, hoping that intertwining his business with the Lee family's stocks would mark the Welsh name in history. Mark nodded his head slightly, not daring to let the scoff he was holding in out. He had yet to look Irene in the eyes but could feel her burning gaze. Irene was a fiery woman. She liked red roses and sipped expensive champagne. She lived luxuriously in private jets, foreign cars, and designers. Irene knew one day she would grow up to marry rich, it was guaranteed by her father. Knowing that her life would always be grand, she spent most of her time doing nothing. Irene was barely raised, only having the butler as a constant figure in her house as a child. She didn't resent her parents for choosing business over her though; she knew it was for their lifestyle, and that was something she respected. She didn't care for love. She didn't even believe in that word. She had never felt unconditional love or seen it outside of movies. The only love Irene ever had was money, and that was what she was going to be protective of. She couldn't wait to marry Mark. Not for his looks or personality, but for the wealth and status she craved. She couldn't wait to be secure and covered in more than just oil money. 

She wanted Mark to look at her. He had ignored her the whole night, something Irene was not used to.  Mark believed the idea of eye contact with her was impossible and it weighed on him heavily. As he sat amongst the three members of the Welsh family, he began to go numb. Mark had always been one to follow through with his plans, to embody them as a whole until the end. So why did he find this plan so tormenting? He had never cared about marriage or love. Love was never a goal of his. Mark took a deep breath, almost as if resetting his mind. "Mark." She pursed her lips. He finally mustered the courage and raised his eyes to meet hers. He couldn't deny she was beautiful. Irene was a classic beauty in the eyes of many and was known for her popularity with men. "Will you be attending the charity event this weekend?" She asked him. Ms Welsh gasped in delight "Oh, It's going to be just wonderful! I'm managing the auction and the food will be..." as she trailed on in unorganized thought Mark chugged the rest of his wine. "...and Joan has been helping me the whole time and just been the sweetest thing ever, do you know her? She's the owner of the bank downtown." Ms Welsh finally took a breath and the table feel quiet. "Mom." Irene scowled. "I will be attending the event and no, I don't know Joan. You will have to introduce me to her." Mark smiled at Ms Welsh. "I was thinking we could show up to the next event with each other since the engagement is now publicized." She spoke sharply, almost as if she was testing his response. Mark cleared his throat, letting out a small hoarse cough. "I would love to escort you Irene." He paused. "It would be a pleasure."