05.

the unknowns • chapter 5

• • •

Grace's POV

Walking out of the bus with her luggage in her hand, she didn't forget to convey her gratitude for Grayson. And as she said her last goodbye to him, she felt a different kind of sadness, almost regret—yearning that they could have talked longer.

She thought that the bus stop was where they would part ways, but the world that she felt was caving in on her had something else in mind. She just didn't know that yet.

"I hope you enjoy your stay," The hotel receptionist gently smiled.

"Thank you," Grace returned the smile. "Oh, also, is the rooftop open? I think I saw something of that sort on the website."

"Usually, it's only open for special occasions and events, but given you're staying on the 8th floor, I believe your card should work until midnight for opening the door."

"Thanks for letting me know, I'll test my luck."

Holding the card for room 813 on the 8th floor in her hand, Grace felt lucky. According to Chinese beliefs, 8 was a lucky number, meaning wealth and fortune. And though internally, she didn't feel that way, her Chinese roots made her believe so; that's how she was raised.

It was 11:50 PM by the time Grace was relatively settled in her own room. And sitting in the corner of her room, she stared at her list of activities she wrote on the bus to New York before making her way to the rooftop.

Here it goes.

Placing her card in the insert to open the door, she closed her eyes hoping the color she would see when she opened her eyes again would be green.

Yet, a small buzz that rang told Grace there wouldn't be a green light that would welcome her. She saw red. Dismayed, she gripped the handle of the door and placed her forehead against the door.

Pulling the door handle up and down, nudging it back and forth, she felt herself lower her body, squatting in front of the door.

"You want to go in?" She heard a man's voice come from behind her.

From below she couldn't see his face, but she did see the light green light emit brightly out of the door's card scanner. And as the man opened the door, pushing it out to let Grace enter first, his eyes met Grace's.

She felt herself smile softly as she stood back up. "Grayson," She pointed at him.

"Grace," He responded, nodding his head.

"Coincidence?"

"Maybe it was meant to be," He slightly flirted. "Do you want to drink with me? And for legal reasons, you're older than 21?"

"22 and I won't pass up free drinks," She replied, following Grayson's footsteps to the center of the rooftop. "Do you usually come here? You seem familiar with this place."

"Every now and then. The company I work for is in this area, so I stay at this hotel whenever I'm here for work."

"That seems nice. I used to think it would be impossible to see the stars in New York, but they are slightly visible," Grace spoke as she took a seat on one of the lounge chairs.

"I think this is one of the best places to see the sky, but I could be wrong," Grayson shared before popping two bottles open and handing one to Grace. "Cheers?"

"Cheers."

At the same time, they both took their own sips, turning their heads in opposite directions. And after she took one sip, Grace turned back to Grayson.

His presence was undeniably comforting and reassuring. "Before I'm drunk," She slowly spoke to break the moment of silence. "I just wanted to say, I'm really glad to see you again."

"I could say the same," Grayson replied with a smile, and, more specifically, with his eyes. He smiled with his eyes. "Even from what you told me on the bus, I can truthfully say that I know exactly where you're coming from. The mindset—it's something I'm well-versed about."

"You sound like you have a few years on me," Grace chuckled.

"I'm 23, so not really. But, I guess my low point was during college, right at the start of it actually, my first and second years. It's hard to speak about, the imposter syndrome mixed with other emotions that you can't really classify as anything. I just felt hopeless and struggled finding the balance in life."

"Do you think you have balance now, I guess, a couple years later?"

"I think so, and I would hope so. I guess if we wanted to be super vulnerable right now, I work at a start-up with a few college friends and the direction they're moving toward is not what I had in plan, so it is pretty tough right now, it's the reason I'm here."

"In the end, it'll be okay?"

"It will be. It'll work out for you, too. Do you want to speak about it?"

"It's similar to how you're explaining it. The challenge is putting it into words and truly accepting the feelings, thoughts, and emotions. I just graduated college, have a job ahead of me, but feel like this, like I'm not supposed to feel this way according to society, but I do. I have everything, but feel nothing. That's what hurts the most."

"I understand that thought process. And, to be honest, I'm not the best comforter when it comes to people and feelings because I'm just as enclosed and private. It's hypocritical in my mind to say something I don't follow myself."

"I think what's more meaningful is that you listen and are empathetic, relating to my feelings. Not everyone I speak to, or, actually, nearly no one, in my mind, connects with my emotions and thoughts that well."

"In that case, you can use me, with anything. During your escape here in New York, I would like to be someone you can fully and completely trust and rely on. Even if it's just a short time before we both go on to do whatever, I would like to help you. Maybe I wouldn't be able to see it in action, but I would like to see you succeed. And I, really, hope you do."

"I hope you succeed, too, with your company and the complications there. I hope we can keep in touch even after my escape, from the sidelines, I'd be interested in seeing what you end up doing."

And that night, one of Grace's last memories was exchanging phone numbers with Grayson. She never drank much even during her college years, but the setting that night felt right to her. The risk she was taking with every sip was something she recognized beforehand.

She knew her limits, but, today, didn't want to feel restricted. She wanted to hang loose. She wanted to be set free. And alcohol, from what she heard, did the trick. 

• • •

a/n: a new chapter, at last. i hope you enjoyed and thank you for hanging here with me as i got caught up with school work, other academic-related things, and life. it's summer break now for me ^-^

we also hit 200 reads, which is mind-blowing! again, a huge thank you for the support and i hope i can continue reaching you guys and your emotions/feelings with this story. <3

teaser/spoiler: grayson's pov was absent here, but something might be in store for him next chapter...