07.

the unknowns • chapter 7

• • •

Grace's POV

"This is why I don't drink," Grace spoke to herself as she woke up, rubbing the temple of her head to alleviate her headache.

Sitting up in her bed, she tried to remember last night's events. Not much came into her mind, but scrolling through her phone's photos allowed her to recall some of the brief moments she shared with Grayson on the rooftop: their exchange of contact information, her speech of fries and chips, a few of their flirtatious comments.

A small smile formed as she looked at her happy, drunk self in the photos she took with and of Grayson. At least the Grace of less than 12 hours ago could disregard her worries.

Maybe it was ignorant of her to purposefully continue to ignore those anxious thoughts, but, today, Grace wanted to live freely, again, like last night—minus the alcohol.

Throughout the day, she found herself exploring New York City, and when the evening came, she took in the nature and the atmosphere that surrounded her in Central Park. Sitting on a rock, staring blankly at the scenery in front of her, she felt herself relax.

Worriless, she wasn't full of fear, and the act of truly doing and thinking of nothing allowed her to find some peace without the pressure that regularly surrounded her. Attaining this moment of bliss has always been a challenge for Grace, but reaching it today had reassured her that, maybe, it would be okay. Her future? There's still more for her, and she can be happy.

Even in the midst of her thoughts, she still felt someone approach her from behind. Turning her head, she was greeted by someone who she was becoming more and more familiar with by the hour.

"I thought I could scare you a little," Grayson smiled.

"I have a strong sixth sense," Grace laughed. "Nothing gets past me."

Similar to Grace, Grayson also took in Mother Nature. And after his meeting with his company, it was what he needed at this time. He felt numb to the pain; he wasn't sure how he felt, or how he should be feeling.

The scenario, though, was predictable. He even felt it coming, yet it was how it actually became reality that caught him off guard. Happy yet sad, pressured yet at peace, he felt confused in his thoughts.

"How did it go?" Grace asked.

Grayson knew what she was referring to, he just didn't think she would remember, ask, care. "The best it could go. I took your advice, said what I wanted to say, and then we parted ways," Grayson replied.