Chapter Two-Whose to say

She heard her parents come in. She removed the chair, they would get super angry to see that she still wanted to lock out the whole world.

If only she could really leave.

Music was never the cure, she figured, it was a definite addiction though. She was still sick in the head.

She had to check in the opposite bathroom if her face called out how much she had been crying.

A lot.

She rinsed her face with cold water, five times.

She heard her mother as she found out she still had not eaten. The clash of the pan’s lid sped to Hailey’s ear and all she thought was its pain.

She ran down the stairs, taking two steps at a time. She could go as fast as she wanted; she was too used to flying down the stairs since the brink of her childhood. It should have reminded her of her run yesterday.

It was dark outside. It should have reminded her of Andrew’s black hair, but how could she ever remember, if she never noticed in the first place? It should have told her that her parents weren’t out just for Gilberts walk; they had a social evening by the neighbour’s fireplace.

Gilbert was already in. He didn’t greet her, he ran around to look for Lewis. His paws were dry enough for father to let him around the house; his long fur was okay too.

Father closed the door after Hailey’s tipsy mother came in.

Laughter rippled through the house and shook the light.

She walked into the kitchen and scanned the work top for some jazz music to play. Father stopped her. Hailey had stopped at the bottom of the stairs, still hadn’t said anything. Gilbert stopped, looking through the door of the kitchen. Everything stopped expect for her mother’s laughter.

Mother hadn’t found out about Hailey’s empty stomach yet. So it was another false alarm. Hailey never thought of those voices and visions as out-of-the-ordinary, she only shrugged and made her way upstairs.

Father was telling her to sleep; mother agreed but smiled a not-so-eager smile.

Hailey got changed in the sound of her mother and father talking. Loose blue pyjamas, a dark shirt and light bottoms. She went to brush her teeth, thinking it would be better if mother had found the jazz music to play. She washed her face as father had to tell her to do. She was ready and she came back to her dark room to sleep.

She had no trouble sleeping. She fell before her parents could say something to her. She fell before she could tell them where Lewis was. Mother picked up her phone she had left behind and figured it out anyway, but they were still worried. They saw their missing daughter and saw that she wasn’t a real daughter.

The two parents went to sleep sad.

Lucy woke up. The first thing on her mind was Hailey. Yesterday was always the day for Hailey, she knew. She felt a pull from a small pint of sadness inside of her. She wondered if she should try anymore.

She looked in her mirror of her cupboard doors; those tall mirrors seemed to only want to haunt her. She saw her lovely plump face and her white, thick and bouncy hair match her light blue eyes and thin eyelashes. She looked only for a second, before the minute was up and she would think she was ugly again.

School was soon. It was a thought that would go through all students’ minds as the time would come near. It was like all teenagers had a sixth sense.