Dheeran

Ayra is the princess. My mind replayed the moment I saw her adorned in silks, flowers and gold. She was quite the sight to see, in her lavish golden gown. My mother and I were shocked beyond belief, to say the least.

Ayra, of all people, was the bloody princess. We could have never expected that. After all, she skillfully acted as a commoner and fooled all of us. 

Sure, I had always suspected that she was too graceful and clever to not be from an aristocratic background. I even interrogated her time and again about her origins. She never cracked under the heat of my pressing questions, and had artfully weaved tales about losing her memory. 

"She is rather clever," My mother pointed out as Ayra's governess led us to the housekeeper. 

I could only sigh, in fear that the governess might hear the spitting remark I planned on speaking out loud. 

As we were lead through the palace, my disdain for royalty and their lavishness suppressed all other thoughts in my head. The palace was such a large, elephantine structure that it took ages to walk from the front of the palace to the back, where I assumed the kitchen was located. The columns were made of gold, the floor was made of cold marble, and the ceiling had Persian art with hints of gold spread out. Servants hustled about, some running to meet the outrageous demands of their masters. At the same time, I could spot some wealthy ministers and their families strolling about like peacocks out in the courtyards. 

What a life they lived, the high-borns. 

When we reached the kitchen, the governess stopped abruptly and turned around with a pleasing smile. She called out the housekeeper while facing us, and the housekeeper was by her side, at her command, within seconds. "Meet Noor, our housekeeper. She is responsible for providing you with jobs to do, so please do not make an enemy out of this one," she said, poking fun at her and laughing. 

We smiled reluctantly at her attempt to lighten the mood. "We will remember not to cross her, then," my mother chipped in politely. 

The governess smiled and stepped forward. "Thank you for bringing the princess back safely. We are all indebted to you for ensuring her safe return. If you need any help during your stay here, I am at your service," the governess says without a trace of ingenuity. She nods at us once more, and proceeds to walk past us, leaving us in the care of the housekeeper. 

"Now," the housekeeper says inquisitively, "what is it that I hear about the princess? She is alive?" 

My mother clicks with Noor immediately, and tells her the tale of how Ayra and I met, and how we returned Ayra to the palace unbeknownst that she was the princess. 

The housekeeper took some time to digest all that was said, and finally laughs. "That's our princess. She's always been quite the warrior," She reminisces. "Anyways, you two should have been treated with a feast fit for kings for bringing her back. Why are you looking for work?" 

My mother and I exchanged looks. We were also confused. Ayra did mention that we will be rewarded, but the details were still unknown to us. We simply shrugged at the housekeeper, unable to answer her question. 

"Tell me about yourselves. What kind of work are you looking for?" The housekeeper asks, tilting her head ever so slightly. 

"I am a skilled healer, as was my father before me," my mother starts. "My son, on the other hand, is still learning. If he could assist me and also do some other work around the palace, then we could not ask for better work," my mom proposes. 

"That could be arranged," Noor says with a small tight-lipped smile. "Healers from all over the kingdom have taken a look at the king's illness. He does not seem to be getting any better. Perhaps, with God's grace, your skill could make His Highness better." Noor then casts her eyes on me. She looks me up and down and smiles. "He will make a fine warrior, what do you say?"