Chapter Twenty-Two: Promised

Kitsuk's POV:

I huff as Issac wraps a scarf over my head, covering my face from the sun.

"Oh don't pout, Kitsuk. We don't want you to burn with fever. It is hot today." Issac cups some water off the sit of the boat before bringing it to my face.

Issac smiles, smearing the water on my cheeks to cool me off.

"Don't move too much so you don't flip the boat. Sit at Adir's feet, he will shade you and make sure you don't fall over board," Issac insists, pushing me into Adir's lap.

Adir chuckles softly, fixing the scarf over my head as he settles me at his feet.

"I will show you how to fix the nets, Kitsuk. Let us instruct Issac first." I narrow my eyes at him, Adir looking too pleased with himself to be ordering around and making me wait for him.

"Careful not to flip the boat, Issac-" Larken murmurs, trying to steady the sides as Issac strips his shirt, preparing to slide into the water.

"I know. I wouldn't want to get our Kitsuk wet."

"You'd be the only male in this boat then," Adir chuckles behind me, making me whirl around to slap his arm. He laughs and catches my wrists, keeping me from smacking him again. "Be good," Adir rumbles lowly, kissing my palms.

I want to yank my hands away to hit him again, but I'm too turned on to even think about it.

Issac slips into the water, rocking the boat a bit. Once he is in, Larken hands him a fishing spear.

"An orange tail will be good for Kitsuk if you can get one. I'll go down after you to try and get her one if you can't, but it should be good for fattening her up," Adir explains, stroking my scarf covered head.

"I'll be back for you, Kitsuk," Issac declares, blowing me a kiss before dunking under the surface of the water.

"Not too hot are you, Kitsuk?" Larken questions, leaning to stroke my cheek for a moment. His expression is soft with concern, making me melt a bit.

Larken is by far the sweetest in me, he almost never commands me around and such like the others.

"I think she is okay," Adir answers for me, patting water onto the back of my neck again. I nod in agreement and Larken smiles, watching us as Adir takes the net in front of us.

"Turn, so I can guide your hands, Kitsuk," Adir instructs, drawing my attention away from the place where Issac disappeared under the waves.

I'm excited he is teaching me how to mend the nets. I like that they want to teach me new things, want me to help them, it makes me feel like I'm part of their clan instead of just a captive.

"I want to go in the water," I whisper wistfully, my eyes on the cool waves as Adir directs my hands. He remains silent, continuing to manipulate my hands on the net as if I was a puppet.

"...Not today, Kitsuk," Larken tells me hesitantly, looking like he's on the verge of jumping overboard to tackle me as he watches me lean to the side of the fishing boat.

"Is it because you worry I will try to escape back to the wild?" I know they are worried about that although they do not speak of such things really.

I don't contemplate running away seriously right now, although I wouldn't say it is completely out of my mind.

For now I'm safer here with them, but I know things change and I need to be ready for when or if it does.