Chapter three: Faith?

Apparently there was a flaw in her plan--

        Madam Orantia predicting that Ivory would try something to get out of the field trip.

        "No funny business, Missy," the woman said. "This trip will be good for you."

        "But Madam Orantia--" Ivory began.

        The woman shook her head. "It is final, Ivory. And I believe you won't regret going."  With that, she turned on her heals and left the orphan behind.  Ivory stared at the elder woman's form as she went back to her office.  The girl bit her lip and eventually turned away, walking up to the girls' bedroom, body slumped.  Her body language made her thoughts obvious, but none of the girls asked if she was alright. 

        Ivory didn't care.  Instead, she picked up her book and continued reading where she left off.  She was now reading, "Little Britches: Father and I were Farmers," and her mind was replaced with glee when Ralph won the trick riding contest.  It had been so unexpected for Ralph, but it had been so amazing to read about his excitement and pride.  That win had even made him a bit famous.

        Ivory didn't wish to win some contest or lottery, she just wanted things to get better for once.  She wanted something good to happen.  Something unexpected and wonderful.

        Something to look forward to. 

        Something to amaze her and bring light to the depressing darkness in her life.

        But she knew things like that only happened in fairytales, so she didn't expect anything like that to happen to her.

        "Everyone line up at the door!" Madam Orantia called. "You better have your dresses or suits on already!"

        Ivory leapt from her bed in fright and rushed to her tiny closet, ripping a pretty dress from a hanger, and bolting into the bathroom.  Her hands shook as she rushed to get dressed and wash her face.  When she finally made it downstairs, she was the last one--just like always.

        "I'm here! I'm here!" she exclaimed between heavy breaths.  She ignored the giggles and whispers as they walked outside into the cold.

        And that's when Ivory realized that she had forgotten her coat.

        She rose an ice cold hand into the air, keeping it there until noticed.

        "Yes, Ivory?" Madam Orantia questioned, raising her eyebrow. 

        Ivory knew the woman already had an idea of what the girl wanted, but simply wanted her to say it herself.  A silent sort of punishment.

        "I forgot my coat," Ivory replied. "Can I go get it?"

        Madam Orantia's eyebrow rose higher toward the sky, and she gave a silent scolding look.

        Understanding, Ivory quickly cried, "I mean! May I go get it?"

        The eyebrow finally lowered down, and Madam Orantia nodded slightly. 

        Ivory flew inside, grabbed her coat from the hanger and rushed back outside, her scarf dragging behind.  Her boots slushed against the soft snow as she ran toward the group.  Visible breaths appeared in front of her when she finally made it.

        "Very well," Madam Orantia said, turning forward. "Follow me, children. And quickly. We are already late."

><><><><><><>   <><><><><><><