Chapter Three: Part II

I found myself wandering around outside. Calvin lay sleeping on the sofa on the second floor. I thought I would take this opportunity to look around. Thankfully, I hadn't run into Kailyn on my way out. It was quite difficult getting through the packed house. My head began to hurt with the loud music continuously playing. The fresh air outside was helping. I muttered a few sorry's after bumping into random drunk people. Finally, I made it through the small crowd outside and my eyes zeroed in on it. The brown barn standing behind the shadows. I couldn't stop my feet as they pulled me towards it.

I shivered as the breeze blew around me. I rubbed the goose bumps on my arms, regretting my decision to leave the hoodie under Calvin's sleeping head. Why'd he even fall asleep anyway? The barn seemed to get larger the closer I got. It was made from old wooden slabs. I pulled a small green flashlight from my purse. Something my father always made me carry in case of an emergency. The wood was cold and rough as I touch the door. Surprisingly, it opens with a loud squeak. It's pitch black inside. "What are you thinking?" I whisper to myself outloud. Without hesitation I step inside.

The small flashlight doesn't help much. The barn floor is covered in dirt, sawdust, and some hay. A dripping sound catches my attention. I shine the flashlight to the left side of the barn. A rusty pipe is leaking muddy colored water onto the ground. I scrunch my nose and shine the light to the right side. A tool bench is set up. Hammers, screwdrivers, and all types of saws litter the bench. Hanging on the wall behind I see a large schythe. A shiver runs up my spine. I take a few more steps into the old creaking barn. It has a hay loft, which is filled with hay. Underneath, a lawnmower and a few dirt bikes sit. It wasn't that appealing inside. It also smelt musty and moldy. I was only curious to come inside because Calvin hadn't spoken much about it.

It seemed to be a normal barn. I sighed and turned around. Calvin may be wondering where I've run off to. I'm nearly to the door when I hear something rustle behind me. I freeze, only moving my eyes. Was it a wild animal or a mouse? If it's a wild animal and I dart towards the door, it may try to attack me. I take a deep breath and barely turn my head while shining the light behind me. A cat jumped off the hay loft. I scream and jump before the black feline darts out the door. "Stupid cat," I say, holding my chest. I lightly chuckly to myself. A cat nearly made me jump out of my hide. I begin for the door again. I nearly reach the door and I'm yanked back. I try to scream but my mouth is covered. I see the light from the house grow smaller as I'm being pulled farther into the barn.

This isn't happening. I must be dreaming. I'm asleep with Calvin in the safe mansion. My heart is pounding in my chest. The large hand is hurting my mouth terribly. I shake my head and kick my feet. I move my head enough to get the top of the hand in my mouth. I bite down with all the force I can muster up. A loud yell erupt from behind me. They let me go and I sprint for the door. The cool air hits me and I slam the door. I continue to sprint until I run into something-no, someone. "Joelle? Joelle, what's the matter with you?" Micah's frantic voice fills my ears. His large hand lifts my chin. "What on earth?"

"I'm fine." I say, pushing his hand away. "I just got startled in the dark."

"Calvin has been looking for you. He's in the kitchen. Just, uh, be careful around here." Micah rubs the back of his neck and switched the weight on his foot.

"No kidding," I say lowly before walking away. I rub my mouth and wipe away the scared tear that slipped down my cheek. I refused to cry in front of anyone. So, I stopped by the edge of the house. My stomach rolled and I couldn't hold back the tears that pricked my eyes. I gripped my shirt and the side of the mansion as I emptied my stomach. When I finally finished I wiped my mouth and let my cheek rest on the cool wood of the house. My mind was racing. How could something like that happen? "Chin up," I told myself. "Nothing happened. You're fine. Continue on." I wiped my face ensuring all the tears and tear streaks were gone. After taking a deep breath I continued on my way to the front porch.