Would we dance a little (Jake x MC)

It had been a long day at work, and it seemed to Annie that the next preparation of a giant stack of papers had exhausted her completely. Everyday life, richly flavored with stupidity some people, suffocated - and even if nothing unusual happened today, the cup in which stress and nervous tension had accumulated for years was finally filled to the brim. All Annie wanted to do was hide in a corner and cry, even sob, with her nose buried in her cat's fur. Of course, she couldn't afford it, because knew that Jake would definitely see and worry for her, even though he had a lot of problems himself. And she made the only decision that seemed right.

As usual, she went to the office room.

As usual, she kissed the top of the head of the man who was still shuddering at this display of emotion.

As usual, she took the book.

As usual, she buried her face in the pages, pretending that everything was fine.

It was an unremarkable evening.

Annie tried to prove it to herself, barely holding back tears and repeatedly thinking back to all the stupid and annoying situations as if a broken projector had suddenly appeared in her head.

But another memory was dispelled when a familiar pale hand appeared in front of her face. Annie blinked absently.

"Jake?"

"I want to take your mind off your sad thoughts a little Annie."

"B-but I- I'm fine."

"Do I need to tell you that you don't even read?" Jake smiled a little. "Take my hand, Annie."

Blushing a little, Annie put down the book and obediently touched Jake's palm, and he, who was much stronger, pulled her to her feet.

Jake put one arm around her waist and the other on her shoulder.

"You can tell me what happened."

Annie breathed in silence for a few more minutes, just her shoulders shaking a little. Jake tightened his hold on her tense body. Annie gave a barely audible sob and hugged back.

"Nothing special happened, you just know... I know a lot of great people," she murmured "but some people there are people who... It's hard to explain, just..."

Jake listened, only stroking her hair and back. When Annie calmed down and lifted her head to look into Jake's eyes, he smiled.

"You want... Will we dance a little?"

She blinked, not sure whether to be more surprised by the suggestion or by the fact that it was the first time Jake had said something like that himself. Had he stopped shutting her out and being shy about his feelings? She didn't think it would happen any time soon.

"But I don't know how."

"Me too. We can learn it together."

And she nodded, falling under the spell of Jake's smile.

They didn't play music, and what came out was the least like a dance. They just shuffled around awkwardly, enjoying each other's company and listening to their hearts beating in unison.