It was better than words (Jake x MC)

If they ever have to tell how they first met, they will never tell the truth. Because their behavior at that moment is akin to insanity. Because at that moment, each of them lost their sense of self-preservation. Because they had first met in person in a dark alley.

Anna walked down the street of Duskwood, turning over the latest events in her head and trying to find clues, collecting the fragments of lost memories. The criminal won - she came to the town. But why was he inactive now?

It was already dark, and the road was lit by several ominously dim streetlights, so Anna wanted to get to the rented apartment as soon as possible. So much so that she turned into a narrow alley to take a shortcut. It was so dark that I had to light up the path with a flashlight on the mobile.

When the beam of light picked out the figure of a man from the darkness, it tensed, froze for a moment. After the attack on Jessy, the mysterious figures did not inspire confidence. Mind told her to take feet in hands and run, even fly away from this alley, lock herself in apartment and play invisible. But when had she ever listened to mind? And Anna, obeying a careless emotional impulse, strode down the alley, trying to illuminate the figure as quickly and completely as possible.

It was a man. A young man in black, sitting upright on the ground with his legs drawn up to his chest. He was pale and breathing heavily.

"How are you?"

He looked up. His unfocused gaze searched for the source of the voice.

"I've been better," he said, his voice barely audible. Anna came closer, squatted down, and took the icy hand, immediately feeling a small tremor that beat the young man.

"Gosh, you're so cold. You have nowhere to go?"

"I'll find place, just..." without finishing, he buried his forehead in his knees.

"Hey, darling, only do not lose consciousness!" Anna said, alarmed. Accidentally lowering the phone, she saw what the problem was. The gray pant leg is torn, soaked in blood. She knows how to find trouble.

"Annie, don't worry. It's just a scratch."

When she heard that name, she almost burst into tears. But she squeezed her eyes shut - this was no time for emotion.

"Jake, you're hurt. Let me heal you, lean on me, and let's go."

Small and not strong at all, she didn't know how she'd managed to help him up. She wrapped her arms around her waist, trying to be steady, even though her legs weren't even shaking under the weight of Jake's almost unconscious body. She must help. She will definitely manage.

***

When Jake opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was the ceiling. A simple gray ceiling, covered with a web of cracks. The room is bright and quiet. In memory - scattered images, a kaleidoscope of random images. Escape on the roofs, surveillance, escape. Pain - blinding, knocking out the spirit and causing the understanding that you can not stop. Dark alley. And Anna. Anna, who should be a thousand miles away from Duskwood!

Jake would have been willing to accept the fact that he had seen someone else, that it was just his imagination, because thoughts of Anna had been in his head for days, making it difficult to focus on finding Hannah and his own safety.

Yes, Jake would have believed it, but for one "but". A small curly-haired "but", half-asleep, resting her head on the bed and holding his hand. His little tender misunderstanding. Jake reached out and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, so that he could see the faint freckles on his pale face. Anna flinched and opened her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"You... You're an idiot!" she sniffed and pulled him into a hug. Her shoulders were shaking. "I was so worried," she said, looking up, her brown eyes glistening with tears.

"I'm sorry. I..."

"Shut up, just shut up," Anna put her hand on his mouth and in this position touched his lips. A fake kiss in a fake relationship. Not real, but so necessary for both of them.

And as soon as Anna took her hand away, he came closer and kissed her for real.

She could only exhale, apparently not expecting him to be so bold. As soon as he pulled away, not letting her speak, he held her to his chest.

"Jake, you're acting weird."

"I know."

"Why?"

"You've been very helpful, Anna. Both now and then... With your message."

"But it was Lilly's idea..."

"But you backed her up. I couldn't find the words to express my gratitude."

"It was better than words."

She almost cried with happiness.

"Is there anything else I can do to get that kind of gratitude again?"

He smiled, burying his nose in her hair.

"Anna..."

"Mm?"

"You're so warm."

And he pulled her closer to him.