Thank you. For everything (Jake x MC)

TW: blood

___________

"Hello, Audrey."

She had never heard that voice before - soft, insinuating, and as if exhausted - and the number on the screen suggested that the call had come from a phone booth. Normally, Audrey would have greeted the caller politely, as a well-bred lady should, but it was almost three in the morning, and the lady was finishing her tenth nap.

"You have thirty seconds to interest me. Otherwise, I hang up the phone," she yawned pointedly, as if the other person could see her.

"I want to see you."

"For this reason people calls for during the day. Twenty."

"I happen to be in your town. I need some help. You said I can call to y... ou."

The realization of who the voice might belong to, fading with every word, made her shudder. She had said this recently, but only to one person.

"If you're who I think you are... Where are you?"

But the only answer was a long beep on the phone. To the accompaniment of her heart pounding several times faster, Audrey stamped her foot. So how would she know where he was planning to meet?

At night, the brain slept with the lady, and it took her a while to put the details together. He called from a pay phone, and she lived in a tiny town where such were rarely seen. There were several in different parts of the city and one in the center. All she had to do was throw something over nightgown and pick a spot at random. There were no other variants.

She pulled on a T-shirt a few sizes too big and wide pants, figuring that since she lived almost in the center, she should start there. She grabbed her bag - a long-standing habit-and ran out into the street.

Audrey walked down the pale stone path, looking around. The night is dark, the street is deserted - not a single human figure. Was she wrong? But something, some barely perceptible premonition, made her break the unnatural silence.

"Hey... Are you here?"

And in response - the same silence, no sign. Maybe she should drop it all and check the next point. Maybe, but... Audrey turned, looked around once more for the phone booth, and walked confidently toward it.

All she could do was gasp at what she saw. The man was half-lying, leaning against the transparent wall, wincing and pressing his hand to his side. The black hoodie was torn, and Audrey could see something red showing through his fingers. Red footprints decorated the entire phone booth, turning it into something surreally beautiful-terrifying. Feeling a wave of nausea rise in her throat, Audrey found herself thinking, quite inappropriately, that it was a good thing she didn't eat after six.

"Jake..." she barely said.

He shuddered.

"Audrey..." the voice was very weak. "I'm sorry... I called you like this..."

She knelt down, raised a trembling hand to her body, but did not dare to touch it.

"Is that blood?"

"Yes, but you're here now, and it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is..."

What did father teach her? First, she need to treat the skin around the wound with an antiseptic? She think there were leftovers in the bag. After all, it was all she could do on her own, having nothing to do with medicine. An incomplete second year of college didn't count.

"Don't be a fool, Jake. You're literally bleeding out! I'm calling an ambulance."

"It's not that bad, don't. We can do it ourselves..."

"Don't be silly! I can't save your life, but they can."

Audrey dialed the last nine and explained the problem in a shaky voice.

"I'm easier to catch in the hospital," Jake continued when she hung up.

"Look, if you're not thinking about yourself, at least think about me." Audrey didn't notice the tears running down her cheeks. The voice was breaking into a squeak. "How will I feel knowing that you died in my arms and I didn't do anything to stop it?"

They were silent, and only Jake's heavy breathing broke the ominous silence of the night. Audrey brushed the wet hair from his forehead, leaned forward a little, and whispered:

"If they find you, I'll help you escape as soon as you feel a little better."

His expression softened a little.

"Can you press the wound down? I don't have the strength anymore."

Audrey sprayed antiseptic on her hands and nodded. A siren sounded in the distance.

***

In the morning, Audrey was called to the police to give a statement about the night's incident. Inspector Stone, the town's police chief, looked at her and shook his head. Disheveled hair, black eyes, and a smudge of blood on her nightgown. Shook his head, glad she was wearing jacket and not running around like a crazy killer.

"You know I have to ask you a few questions, don't you?"

"Of course. But I can tell you everything myself. I do not know who this man is, or what happened to him. I was on the street because I got a call. I think he dialed a random number in the hope of getting help," she paused for a few seconds, remembering what else she had to say. "Ah, and I don't think anyone can confirm my words. I'm sure the street was empty. And he didn't have the energy to tell me anything."

"You really did take everything into account. Well done."

"I learn from the best."

"But there is one thing. I can tell when you're lying. Tell the truth for the good of you two."

Audrey sighed.

"I got involved in something. Far away, in a town called Duskwood, a girl went missing..."

Audrey told him about Duskwood and Hannah, about the guys... and the fact that someone they barely know is involved. But this someone definitely wants to help and is in danger right now.

Inspector Stone sighed.

"We'll have to question him when he'll wake up. You won't have much time. Audrey." she looked up at him questioningly. "Change your clothes before you go back to the hospital. The package is in the cabinet."

"Thanks, dad. For everything."

***

When the police arrived at the hospital, they were only waiting for the news: the mysterious man escaped from the hospital almost immediately after he came to. It was suspected that he did not do it alone, but there was no proof.

You, 10:42: where are you now?

Audrey stood on the steps to the hospital, her foot tapping nervously. She held the phone in her hands, waiting for an answer.

Jake, 11:03: On the road.

You, 11:03: Will I see you again?

Jake, 11:04: Sure. But next time the situation will be less unpleasant. I promise.
Thank you, Audrey. For everything.