What the hell? [Jake]

A stooped figure stood out in the darkness of the room. The man's face looked even more haggard in the faded light of the phone screen, and the shadows under his eyes seemed to deepen. He let out a bored sigh as he flipped through the message lists. The need to hide almost completely limited his abilities.

Now that he was finally a little out of the way of his pursuers, it was impossible to get into the database or share his guesses with his assistant. The only thing that he is now capable of is to sometimes follow the already connected chats and be surprised. What do these people do? They draw, have fun. As if it wasn't their friend who had disappeared, as if he was the only one who cared about finding Hannah. He could understand MC, whose involvement in this case was still a mystery, but the others...

Jake put down his phone and rubbed his perpetually red eyes. It was unpleasant to feel himself useless, but so far he had little choice: either not to show himself and his abilities a little more, or to get into the basement of the feds, from where he was unlikely to get out alive. As much as Jake loved Hannah, the choice seemed obvious. Especially since MC was doing quite well on her own.

The phone vibrated - Jake reached for it again, because he knew for a fact that the sounds were off for all chats except those related to MC. Sometimes he wanted to punch his forehead with hand, knowing that he had turned into a fucking stalker. At first, he watched for security reasons - just because kidnapper calls her. Then it became a habit.

Phil: You're so cute :)

MC: Haha, I don't even have a photo in my profile :p Where are these conclusions from?

Phil: I can feel it ;)

MC: Well, it was quite pleasant and unexpected. Thank you, Phil. But let's talk about it another time. We have more important things to do

"What the hell?" Jake growled, watching the conversation.

How this one... Hawkins allowed himself to flirt with his... who? An assistant? Jake had deliberately kept his distance from her, and now he was acting as if they were connected by something other than the investigation.

Again, the question was, "What the hell?". Only this time it was addressed to not Phil.