Prologue: Camp Omega

March 16th, 1975 00:00 hrs.
U.S. Naval Prison Facility, Cuba.

Few months have passed since the Peace Walker incident. Naked Snake (AKA Big Boss) arrived to Camp Omega–a place considered a "black site" because of its status as being an American "slice of pie" on communist soil with no legal jurisdictions.

What was the legendary Big Boss doing there? Rescuing Paz Ortega Andrade (or whichever her real name was) and Ricardo "Chico" Valenciano Libre. Paz had been captured after being found alive ten days ago by fishermen; Chico was captured when he encouraged himself into a rescue mission, he was looking for Paz: his love, and he found her, but not in the way that he had expected...

Snake and Kazuhira Miller were talking via radio. Miller was giving him details about the mission and the situation with Paz. Snake said something about assassinating Paz to save themselves troubles, but Miller suggested that she was their ticket to Cipher. It would be better to keep her alive, despite the fact that she tried to end Snake's life using the Metal Gear ZEKE after his rejection to join Cipher. Why did I said that we should kill Paz?. Snake thought. In fact, he didn't intend to hurt her; he guessed it was the rage within him speaking. Either way, it was not the first time that it happened to him. He remembers that, many times, his thoughts were not in concordance with his actions. Just like the time he shot The Boss; he really did not want to pull the trigger, but he did. It felt like if everything was planned... like if he was living someone else's life.

Kaz and Big Boss continued speaking about an upcoming Nuclear Inspection in Mother Base. MSF (Militaires Sans Frontières) received a letter from the UN claiming that the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) requested to inspect Mother Base, allegedly due to their ordering nuclear fuel from Uzbekistan officials. Naked Snake and Kazuhira Miller both realized that the IAEA had been manipulated by Cipher and the real reason was to locate Metal Gear ZEKE's nuclear warhead.

Huey Emmerich, the mechanical engineer of MSF, told them that the inspection was necessary in order to avoid becoming labeled as "nuclear-armed terrorists"

Huey Emmerich, the mechanical engineer of MSF, told them that the inspection was necessary in order to avoid becoming labeled as "nuclear-armed terrorists". Emmerich agreed with the inspection so much that he sent a letter indicating that the MSF's leaders had changed their minds. Snake and Miller had to prepare everything for the inspection. They could not refuse to it because it would be suspicious to "change their minds" again or maybe,  just maybe, they could have refused, but they didn't want to. Whatever the case was, it didn't matter now. They rushed to prepare for the inspection. This included sending all civilians out of Mother Base (Amanda and her army, Cécile, etc.) as well as their armored vehicles (Metal Gear ZEKE not included) and many of their guns. The only civilian in Mother Base was Huey due to his role in the inspection.

Four helicopters went away, and Snake didn't know, but his damnation was there.