26

Because Jones had taken a tumble when you had made the turn into the alley, he was miles behind you and Nick now - you couldn't even see him when you cast a glance behind you. Though he was no longer directly tailing you anymore, you had no doubt he still knew where you were headed. You hadn't been too subtle about where you were heading, caring more about speed than throwing Jones off his rhythm.

Now, you guided the horse just past the town line, towards the tracks a few yards away. Nick still had his arms wrapped around your middle, looking behind you for any sign that Jones was approaching.

You were relived to see that the train hadn't left yet - it was still stopped at the station, the long line of cars stretching down to where you were. While the chase had been fun, looking at the train cars had a sense of weight to it that the chase hadn't. Hopefully, you would be able to get Nick on board and far away from here before the sheriff caught up - you weren't so sure about yourself.

It would mean leaving everything you had ever known, after all.

You brought the horse to a slow, walking down the line until you spotted an open car. You stopped the animal, sliding out of Nick's grip and the saddle as gracefully as you could, reaching back up to unfasten the supplies Anne had packed from the saddle, and slinging the bags over your shoulder instead.

"Here." You said, reaching back to help Nick down from the saddle. "Lets get you in that train car."

Nick's eyebrows furrowed at your words. "What about you?" He asked, moving to place a hand in yours for balance as he slid down from the saddle.

You hesitated. "I never got to say goodbye to Anne and Perkins... and this place is my home. Leaving would mean, well... leaving. And not exactly on good terms."

Nick settled onto his good foot, leaning on you slightly. For a moment he was quiet, contemplative, but then he dipped his head, nodding. "You're right, I- I didn't think much about how you would feel about leaving." He paused, eyes flicking to you. "M'sorry."

He seemed genuine about it, but you couldn't exactly blame him for not thinking. After all, it had been a mad dash out of the saloon, and it wasn't until you had the chance to stop and breathe for a moment that the second thoughts had hit you - the chase had been too high speed for guilt and dread to catch up, but now that you had stopped, they pooled in your stomach, filling the space where the adrenaline had been.

"It's alright, don't worry your pretty head about it." You said, starting over towards the train car with Nick hobbling along beside you. "There wasn't much time to think anyway."

You walked together in silence for a moment before Nick spoke again. "I really am sorry." He said. "I roped you and your folks into all this, and I never even got the chance to say a proper thanks before I ran off again." A wry sort of smile came to play on his lips. "If my mother ever found out she'd box me 'round the ears for not saying thanks after dinner."

You huffed out a little laugh at that - you could sort of picture it in your head. "I'm sure Perkins understands." You said. "If he didn't think you were worth it, he wouldn't have let you stay."

You stopped the hobble when you got to the traincar, letting Nick shift from where he had been leaning against you to leaning against the side of the car. You dropped the bags of supplies from your shoulder, lifting them into the car and sliding them against one of the walls, out of sight.

"Never got to properly thank Anne either." Nick said, watching as you set the supplies down. "That woman could be a real doctor if she wanted."

"I think the best thanks you could give is not getting caught." You said, finishing with the bags and turning towards Nick, ready to help him into the car. "Here, I'll help you up."

Nick hesitated, something unsettled clear in his expression. His eyes flicked from the open train car back to you, waiting to help him escape. "What about you?" He asked again, this time more urgent. "You can't stay here."

You glanced back towards the town of Blooming Rose, the sun high over the collection of wooden homes and shops - the only town for miles around. If you left now, there was no telling where you would end up. You would be on the run - and rightfully so, after helping Nick escape from the law. If you didn't leave, you could face time in a cell and a terrible reputation once you got out. But, there was some security in knowing that Anne and Perkins would be waiting for you.

Eyes flicking back towards Nick, you hesitated.

"You don't have to come with me." He said, seeing the conflict in your eyes. "But I need to know if you'll be alright." His fingers flexed at his side, like he wanted to reach out to you but was stopping himself. "I couldn't bear if-"

Whatever Nick was about to say was interrupted by the ping of metal on metal, as the bullet bounced off the side of the train car, rickashaying away into the dirt. The horse, that had been loitering nearby, spooked at the sound, galloping back towards the town.

Your eyes snapped to where the shot had come from, a little ways down the track. Sheriff Jones stood there, making his way towards you and Nick, pistol aimed right at Nick's chest.

"Shit." Nick said, fumbling around for his pack. He ripped it open, reaching inside past the wads of money he had stolen, and pulled out his own six-shooter, cocking it and bringing it up, mirroring the sheriff.

Your stomach dropped to the dirt.