IX. Wishing For A Better Tomorrow

Date: November 18th

Taehyun was doing the dishes and singing a song when he heard his sister say his name.

"Tae, did you see the news?" She asked, entering the kitchen.

When he shook his head, she handed him his phone that was on a new video.

"Apparently Prince Beomgyu has already found a queen for himself. They were seen together at a park, the mall, the pool, and other places. Princess Miyoung has already begun her move to Solitude, and it seems like our kingdom will not be destroyed by a horrible leader."

She knew Taehyun was upset, but the boy just shrugged.

"It's nothing Kaneisyeon. I told him to find someone else."

"I know you're not happy that he did. Taehyun..." she followed him back to the kitchen and watched sadly as he started making dinner. "I hate seeing you like this."

"Like what? I'm fine."

"You're obviously not fine! The love of your life moved on from you! Who the fuck would be fine in this situation?!"

He jumped at her tone of voice and then groaned.

"Just leave me alone Kaneisyeon. Please."

She sighed and walked away, stopping to watch him hold his head in his hands.

Taehyun wasn't okay.

Not in the slightest.

"Taehyunie Hyung, what are we having for dinner?" A five year old boy asked, walking over to tug on his hoodie.

"I-I don't know. We don't have a lot of food."

"I want chicken."

"I said I don't kno-"

"Taehyun, can you help me with my homework?" A girl asked.

"Yeah, just wait a second. I'm trying to-"

"Taehyun!"

"Taehyun!"

He slammed his hands down on the counter before stomping upstairs, making them all look at him.

"I'll make dinner," Kaneisyeon said, going into the kitchen.

Taehyun slammed his bedroom door behind him, holding his hand over his mouth and squeezing his eyes shut.

Not wanting to cry wasn't him having fragile masculinity.

It was just that crying didn't help him. It only broke him more.

He blinked a few times and then opened his window, stepping onto the sill and looking out over the kingdom.

"I wish for... a better tomorrow," he said, staring at the shooting star in the black night. There were only a few stars out.

Star Boy, he thought, looking across the kingdom at the tall palace. A bedroom light was on. One that had a balcony outside of it with a fire escape.

He climbed down the rain gutters and started walking. He really didn't know what he was doing.

To him, it was dumb to request the help of royalty. But Beomgyu said he served him, and now Beomgyu was just...

A prince.

Nothing more than someone there to serve Taehyun.

He unlocked the gate on the West side of the palace, walking through the grass and climbing up the fire escape to the fourth story.

The light was on in Beomgyu's room. Taehyun saw the prince with his new girlfriend, sighing and quietly knocking on the door.

"Taehyun?" Beomgyu asked after opening it. "What are you doing here?"

"I need your help." He looked at the princess. "Can I talk to you in private?"

Beomgyu looked back at her and sighed, angry that Taehyun didn't come back sooner. "You can talk to me about it here."

Taehyun huffed and bit his lip, shaking his head. "Nevermind. But you said you're here to serve me, and as a citizen of your kingdom, I request financial help."

He was about to walk away when Beomgyu grabbed his hand. "Wait. I'm sorry. Miyoung, I'll be back in a second," he said, closing the door so they could talk. "What do you need?"

"I have been taking care of twelve orphans, and I don't mean to sound pushy, but I need help."

"I'll request for easier adoptions and things like that. And we'll send checks every week."

Taehyun thanked him and looked out at the open field.

"Is she nice to you?"

"I don't know why it's any of your business."

Taehyun shrugged and stared up at the sky, seeing that more stars appeared.

"Sorry for asking. I'm just..."

"Jealous?" Beomgyu asked with a small smirk.

Taehyun smiled and shook his head.

Beomgyu was back to his old self it seemed.

"I'm not jealous. I just... care about you."

A slight breeze blew past them and Beomgyu shivered.

"Then why didn't you come back sooner?"

"I wanted to give you time to move on from me."

Beomgyu looked back inside. "Well, I haven't fully moved on yet. But I'll get those things done for you. Good night... Star Boy."

Taehyun blushed and watched him walk back inside.

"Good night Prince Beomgyu."