the lonely scrapyards

If an engine were to come through Edward’s station, they’d never know that Diesel was hidden at the back of the carriage shed, silent as a mouse and listening closely to the outside world for those who might come to take him away - back to the scrapyards. 

Edward the Blue Engine had been kind enough to let Diesel stay in the sheds for a few days after learning what Diesel had been through at the scrapyards. Edward was a kind engine with a big heart, especially when it concerned scrap.

Edward and Diesel spent many nights together talking about scrap. Edward tried very hard to build up Diesel’s confidence and felt that he was making great progress.

“I know it is hard, Diesel, but I promise to do my best help you face your fears,” Edward often told Diesel.

“No one has ever tried to help me like you have, Edward. Thank you.”  

Edward remembered how pitiful Trevor had been before he was saved from scrap and felt a similar responsibility to Diesel, but Edward knew that this situation was far different from Trevor’s, and started to worry.

If Diesel didn’t return to the scrapyards, Edward thought, the scrap dealers would start looking for him, which could place Diesel and the railway in a lot of trouble. Edward knew the kind of people who owned scrapyards. They were rough and rude, to be sure, but they were also greedy and would do anything to keep the smelters going, even if that meant traveling halfway across the Island to find a single diesel engine. More engines to haul scrap meant the smelters could turn a greater profit!

    Edward had begun to worry so much about this that he was not running as well as he could. One afternoon, Edward puffed slowly down the line with his last goods train for the day. He was very tired. His driver and fireman were becoming concerned that soon he would need to go to the Works to be looked over. 

As Edward set down his trucks, he let out a long sigh.

“Edward, this cannot continue,” his driver said sternly. “All this worry over Diesel has run you down. You’re barely making steam as it is. Perhaps we need to send Diesel back to the scrapyards.”

Edward secretly agreed with his driver, if only to save Diesel from a worse fate, and he was feeling worn out, too! Diesel had become a burden and a very hard secret to keep. Reluctantly, he conceded.

“That settles it, then. We’ll handle this. You stay here.”

Edward’s driver and fireman walked over to the carriage shed to tell Diesel the bad news. Edward instantly regretted his decision. What will happen to Diesel now? he thought.

Suddenly, Diesel peeled out of the shed in great protest.

“I can’t go back, I can’t!”

“You cannot stay here forever, Diesel. You must return!” said Edward’s driver.

“Says who?” Diesel said. 

Then, Diesel peered over and saw Edward sitting in the siding. 

“Oh, I see,” Diesel scoffed. Edward heart sank as he saw a look of utmost betrayal on Diesel’s face.

“I-I’m sorry, Diesel. It’s for y-your own good!” Edward cried, tears forming in his weary eyes.

Without another word, Diesel crossed angrily over the points onto the mainline and was soon out of sight. Edward didn’t know what to think or what to say. His driver and fireman did their best to console him, but Edward felt dreadful.

The next day, Edward drudged down the line. He didn’t feel well at all. He could not stop thinking about Diesel and how he had gone against his promise, even though it was for the right reason. His driver and firemen were worried.