Toby's trial

Toby and Henrietta have been friends for a long time and love each other very much. They have rarely left each other's side over their many years together. Henrietta was the first and only coach that Toby had claimed as his own, because, as Toby often said, there was no other coach he wished to take out!

But Toby and Henrietta were growing old. Their springs and axles ached more than they used to, and it took them longer to get from place to place, but they didn't care. Any time together, no matter how they felt, was better than no time together at all.

However, the inspectors had taken notice of Toby's slowness and made a point to remind Sir Topham Hatt of this fact whenever they could. They placed ledgers and files on his desk, but Sir Topham Hatt always waved them away, saying:

"You'll never find an engine with as pure of a heart as Toby, and you will never find a coach as faithful as Henrietta. They are worth more to the railway than your figures."

The passengers thought so, too. They didn't mind waiting a little longer to catch their train. They knew that Toby was trying his best, and that's all that mattered.

But Toby and Henrietta's "inefficiency" had worked its way up the pipeline to the railway board, and they were sending someone down to provide an official report. This made Toby, Henrietta, and Sir Topham Hatt very nervous.

"I'm worried for us, Toby," Henrietta said sweetly.

Toby smiled.

"Don't fret, my dear," Toby replied. "It's all a formality."

"But what if the railway official's report forces us to retire from service? What will happen to us then?"

"If that happens, Henrietta, then we will enjoy our retirement together, no matter what happens!"

This made Henrietta feel much better, but she was still worried.

The railway official came the next day. He waited with Sir Topham Hatt on the platform for Toby and Henrietta. He bore a stern expression and clutched a stack of papers to his chest. When Toby and Henrietta arrived, he boarded the train without a word, scribbling notes the entire time.

Toby and Henrietta didn't know what to think. Sir Topham Hatt gave the two a slight smile, then boarded the train himself. Toby was to stick to his usual timetable after which the railway official would debrief them on his inspection.

The journey went well, but Toby and Henrietta were slow. Toby took his time at each station picking up and letting out passengers, as he always did. Meanwhile, the railway official continued to scribble furiously on his stack of papers.

The trip finally ended at the last station before the quarry. Toby felt that he did quite well, but the railway official thought otherwise.

"Significant delays, consistently under the posted speed limit, dawdling at stations," he barked at Toby, Henrietta, and Sir Topham Hatt. "Furthermore, this has been a repeated pattern as outlined by your railway inspectors. And this engine and coach are far, far out of date! Too old to be useful. I have no choice but to suggest their retirement to the board."

Toby and Henrietta gasped!

"With all due respect," Sir Topham Hatt started, but he was immediately cut off.

"No ifs, ands, or buts! My word is final. You'll be getting my report and recommendations soon."

And with that, the railway official left the station, got in his car, and left Toby, Henrietta, and Sir Topham Hatt sitting at the station most annoyed!
"Of all the nerve!" Henrietta bellowed.

"You're right, Henrietta," put in Toby. "That man doesn't know how to speak to engines."

Sir Topham Hatt removed his top hat and scratched his head.

"I'm sorry for the display, Toby and Henrietta," he said. "I'll try my hardest to fight the official's recommendations, but he does carry a lot of power."

Toby and Henrietta sighed and slowly and dejectedly traveled back up the branch-line to their shed.

"If we are retired," Toby began, "at least I will be with you. I can't imagine how other engines must feel without a special friend like you to share each day with."

Henrietta blushed.

"You're too kind, Toby. We'll just have to wait and see what this 'railway official's' report says."

But as the two made their way up the line, they saw smoke in the distance. As they got closer, they realized that the railway official's car had plunged into a deep ditch on the side of the road. The official sat on the bank of the ditch clutching his leg.

"What happened?" Toby asked.

"The road was slippery after the rain-storm yesterday and I lost control. My leg is hurt!"

"Oh dear!" Henrietta cried. "We must get you to hospital!"

Toby's driver and fireman wasted no time helping the railway official into Henrietta, and soon they were racing toward the junction. There they met the ambulance and the official was taken away for medical care.

The next day, after Sir Topham Hatt had learned of Toby and Henrietta's heroic deed, he came to their shed to congratulate them. Toby and Henrietta felt good about helping the official, but they were still preoccupied with the railway official's threat of their retirement.

"After he recovers, I'm sure he'll be traveling back to the mainland to file his report," Toby said sadly.

"On the contrary, Toby, I spoke to him this morning. He told me that any engine and his coach that would go out of their way to help someone in need is indeed very useful and an asset to their railway!"

"So does that mean...?" Henrietta started.

"Yes, Henrietta. You and Toby are to remain in service!"

Toby and Henrietta simply beamed! From that point onward, no railway inspector or official ever complained about Toby and Henrietta's "inefficiency" anymore, because they knew that the two were more useful than any report or ledger could ever know!