Chapter forty-one

Pete's POV:

I stood with my feet planted in the center of the three mirrors, adjusting my tie slightly and looking up and down at my suit. It was setting in that I would be marrying Grace in less than a year. With the way time always flew by, it would be happening in no time.

"So why do we have to do this like a year in advance?" Colson asked as he thumbed through a men's fashion magazine sitting in the dressing area.

"With weddings, you have to do everything early," I replied and thought of how much planning Grace was already doing, all the way down to what color napkins would be on the guest tables.

John, Ricky, and Dave lined up to get measured and try on their suits. Each of them were thrilled when I asked them to be my groomsmen. Grace had the idea to surprise them with a gift when I asked each of them, which allowed me to tell them that was the root of their excitement.

"Luckily John lives in his suits so he can help us get all the details right," Ricky laughed teasingly.

"I bet he will buy his out for a few hundred dollars rather than renting it like the rest of us." Colson pitched in.

"Make all the jokes you want, but I thrive knowing I look my best," John said with his head held high.

"You tell 'em, Mulaney." I made eye contact with him in the mirror, though I did agree with the other guys' jokes a little bit.

John came and placed a hand on my shoulder then adjusted the pocket square in the suit jacket to hide the seam that was showing. "You're going to make a great husband, Pete."

"I fucking hope so." I sighed and wondered if the fear around Grace getting fed up with me would ever really go away. As much as I tried to hide it and keep a nonchalant attitude, I was nervous as hell.

"I'm serious. I always tell you you're a good guy, but I really mean it." He lowered his voice slightly. I could hear Colson and Ricky making fun of something in one of the magazines and laughing hysterically.

"I have my doubts every once in a while. Not about her, about me." I admitted. John and I were always very connected with our struggle points. He was one of the more emotional friends that I could get into deep conversation with. He always understood and could give just the right amount of advice without being preach-y.

He shook his head in an attempt to wash away my worries. "All the love is there," he patted my chest and smiled softly at me.

"If I didn't know any better I'd think you and Mulaney were the two getting married." Colson appeared behind my other shoulder.

"Fuck off," I laughed and stepped back into the dressing room to change into my clothes while the rest of the guys tried on their suits and were measured. When we left the suit shop, we spotted a restaurant and patio bar across the street and agreed on grabbing lunch and a few beers.

"Who gets to plan the Bachelor party?" Dave asked, almost nervously.

"I trust you and John. I do not trust Colson and Ricky." My eyes widened as I began to imagine the potential of what a party they planned would look like.

"Whoa, I take offense to that." Colson's brow furrowed and he set down his beer. "You'd be lucky to have a party planned by me."

"Would I really? Or would we all end up in jail?" I challenged him.

"Never, we just grab a party bus with some stripper poles—"

"I'm already offended," John held up his hands.

"Fine, a party bus for some bar hopping in the city. Or we could always do Vegas." Colson seemed less excited at the more tame ideas suggested. I sat back laughing with my friends, realizing how grateful I was to have a great support system around me.