Chapter five

Later that day, I went in to work as expected. I organized all of the documentation for the upcoming show, where six bands were playing. I contacted each of the photographers and issued photographer and press passes.

I felt my phone go off in my pocket a few times. I slipped it out to check it, and my best friend Alyssa was blowing me up. Three missed calls and five texts. She was scolding me on why I'd gone MIA.

I made a mental note to call her on my drive home.

I was starting to feel the pressure and stress building for this larger show. This was my first big event that I'd coordinated. I mentioned to Derek that I was really trying to earn a promotion, and he said he would consider it after this event.

I stared at my computer for what felt like only a few minutes and realized the venue was closing up.

On my walk to the car, I called Alyssa.

"Where have you been?" She questioned me without even saying hi.

"I've been a bit busy." I laughed.

"You've got to text me at least!"

"Alright, alright. I'm sorry."

She was right. We usually texted every day, even if it was just in the morning or right before bed. I'd dropped the ball on that.

"So, what's going on?" She asked.

"I met a guy. We've been hanging out the last couple of days." I felt myself smiling as the words left my mouth.

"Good, now you can get married and be pregnant with me." Alyssa was married and going to start trying to conceive. She was always bringing up wanting to be pregnant at the same time. But the thought of being pregnant anytime soon made me nauseous.

"You know that's not happening."

"I know. Who's this guy, though? I need pictures." She demanded.

"I'll get you one. His name is Pete, though. I already like him a lot already."

"Where'd you meet him? Not a dating app, I hope."

"None of that." I shook my head. "I met him while I was working. He was in town for a few days and was staying at one of the resorts over here."

"In town..? How far away does he live?"

"He lives in New York..." My tone changed a bit. I knew what she was going to say; I shouldn't pursue someone where there's distance involved.

"Grace, that's way too far away. You'll never see each other." She said it a bit nicer than I expected, at least.

"'Maybe. I mean he travels for his job so that could help." I was feeling defensive.

"Or make it harder. Just don't get hurt, please."

"I'm not trying to. But I want to give this a shot, as long as it keeps feeling good."

I glanced up from the road to see the exit sign to leading to Miami. I stared it, wishing I could take that turn to Pete.

Alyssa sighed. " I just care. I'm not trying to burst your bubble."

" I get it. I just want to see what happens."

She changed the subject and we caught up on how our jobs were going, my school schedule, and her update on baby clothes shopping, despite not being pregnant yet.

I arrived at my apartment complex and dropped down on the couch, staring at the ceiling. Why did I feel so back on forth on this? I always teetered between doubt and bliss. I desperately wanted to stay in neutral territory, but damn, it was hard.