중학교

May 2007

First day of middle school had started as perfect as ever. My mother had bought me a crisp new  set of uniform, with a white button up shirt, navy blue pair of pants, a red tie and some shining black shoes. My black backpack finished the whole look.

I strode through the school gate proudly expecting all eyes to be on me, attracted by my shining smile, but I frowned when everyone had already gotten into their friend groups and didn't pay mind to me. My shoulders slumped as I pulled on the straps of my bag and trudged into the noisy school, still hoping to make some friends on my first day.

The corridors were even noisier than the open grounds, as girls and boys huddled in groups of three or four. I walked through the crowd of students and tried to navigate to the office, but it wasn't easy trying to find my way through unknown territory.

I decided to ask one of the students about the whereabouts, "Hey," I tapped the shoulder of a boy passing by. "Do you know where the office is?" the guy looked startled for a second but then nodded saying, "from the end of the hallway to the right, third room." I smiled saying thank you and walked the path.

"Dude is he the handsome new guy everyone is talking about?" I heard the boy whisper to his friend which made me smirk a little bit, "Maybe, but I think the others mentioned another new transfer-" the other replied, but I had already walked too far to listen to the entire thing and my smirk immediately disappeared.

There's another transfer kid?   I thought to myself as I finally arrived at the office. I made my way to one of the staff and introduced myself and she immediately went "Aaahh, the new transfer! Baek Juho was it? You're in my class, so just follow me." She smiled warmly and I already liked her so I smiled back, nodding.

She took her things from the desk and the bell rang right then, signaling the start of the first period. We walked to the class, with me trailing behind her as my hands started to sweat slowly. She opened the classroom door and walked inside as I stood at the doorway, not sure as to whether or not I should enter.

The teacher turned back and smiled telling me to come in. I took a deep breath and trudged inside scanning the classroom, everyone's eyes were fixed on me, which made me even more nervous. "Everyone! He is one of our new transfers, why don't you introduce yourself," She gestured at me.

I bowed my head smiling a little, "Hello everyone, I'm Baek Juho. I hope we can be friends." 

"Hi Juho!" The others said in sync, in a surprisingly friendly tone which made me smile wider.

"Students, be nice to Juho and befriend him, okay? Juho you can choose where you want to sit."

I scanned the classroom and saw the only two seats free in the middle row near the window, which was weird because they were the best seats in any classroom. I happily walked there and sat on the seat nearest to the window, and settled myself on there. But I looked up and noticed everyone looking at me with a worried expression, which startled me.

I was utterly confused as to why they were all staring at me like that and I showed them a nervous smile, burying my head in the book, hoping they would stop staring at me. What's up with them? I wondered curiously.

Right as the teacher was about to start the lesson, a knock rung through the classroom and everyone's attention, including mine turned towards the noise. 

"Come in." the teacher called.

The door slid open and a boy walked through it with a blindingly bright smile, everyone looked awestruck including me as our eyes followed his posture. The class started whispering to each other, some of the girls squealing and giggling.